Humanity's Child

Matt said: "Everything is going to plan."

From 'Storm's' flight control Bridge, Carl said. "Hah, famous last words."

Matt said: "Don't be cheeky XO, you know that every communication from ships in orbit is recorded."

Carl's tone was almost apologetic as he said: "My apologies, Admiral. 'Storm' will remain on station to await your return."

Matt said: "Great. Please ensure that Storm is re-supplied today as I intend to finish with the council and return by late afternoon tomorrow."

Carl said: "Aye, Admiral." officially, then gave customary sign-off: "Storm, out." Then he laughed.

The council session had already started by the time Matt arrived. He was admitted with the pomp and ceremony due to a person of his great age, military rank and standing in the council, and SOL System. If there was such a thing as royalty in this new age, then Matt was the 'Prince of the realm.' All members of the council stood and bowed. Matt returned the bow and sat in seat number four of the 'SEVEN' that were set in a prominent place of honour in the council hall.

The chairperson asked Matt if he wished to address the council. Matt stood, bowed toward the chair, and said: "Good morning, Council members. As you are aware, Storm is now in lunar orbit, and I am here to discuss three items. The alleged water shortage, transport of SP1 to its Battleship, and the crystal search. I trust these items were added to this meeting's agenda."

"You all know the importance of agenda items two and three and that I am currently, time-poor. Please accept my apologies for being abrupt and direct, but I do need to get moving. So, I will hijack this session for a short time, then take my leave." Matt bowed respectfully to the Chair. The Chairperson responded graciously.

Matt continued: "Firstly, on behalf of SP1, I thank you for approving its transfer to its ship. I believe everything is in place, and I'll commence that process this afternoon, at 3pm. Secondly, I ask that you release resources required to produce the millions of Nano scanners needed to seed the rings of Saturn. The importance of this request will have an outcome that benefits humanity."

The chairperson held up his hand and said: "Admiral, the council is split on this item. The reality of implementing your request is astoundingly expensive. Many other projects will have to be put on hold if your Nano-Scanner manufacture is to become a reality. It is a huge ask."

Matt felt anger rise-up in him, that he didn't want to contain, not today. He said: "Yes, Chairperson. It is a big request, but the cost is truly nothing when compared to the rewards. I stand here before you today, a man who has given this quest more than a century of commitment and I say this: I am truly exhausted from the constant fighting in and out of council over things we need to buckle down and do without a fight in the first place."

He looked at particular faces in the council and said: "Then I see 'greed' creep in at other times that actually require debate and exclusion, and we are asked to perform foolish tasks such as item three on this agenda. Who was the party that came up with this ridiculous request, when there is more water in controlled space than we can use or have the equipment to mine?"

A Counsellor shot to his feet in the second row and yelled at Matt: "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TO COME IN HERE AND SPEAK TO US THIS WAY? WE HAVE PLANS THAT NEED TO BE IMPLEMENTED. YOU'RE A SOLDIER. JUST DO AS YOU ARE TOLD. MOST OF US THINK THE WHOLE ENEMY THING IS A RUSE YOU AND YOU'RE SO-CALLED 'SEVEN' THOUGHT UP TO RULE OVER THE REST OF US. MOST OF US HATE YOU ALL, AND MANY OF US FEEL WE'D BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT YOU. WHY DON'T YOU ALL JUST GET LOST?"

The entire council chambers became so silent after the rant from the Counsellor that the only thing heard was the sound of circulating air.

Matt looked at the man directly in the eye and did not stand to reply. Not standing sent a clear message that he showed complete disrespect to that man yelling at him. He said in a calm tone: "Well, you have stated things that can't be taken back. I'll answer your question first: "It is not about who I think 'I am.' I know who I am. It's about who you think I am. I listened to your outburst, and I'm disappointed to hear such hatred voiced in an open forum."