Chapter 22 - Small Gifts, Big Meaning

The Next Day
10 AM
Megan's POV

On my way back from Las Vegas, I was thinking of ways we could spend time together as a family. I still can't believe I have an actual family. I didn't think it would happen for a while, especially the way it happened and with Beyoncé of all people. I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. God did his big one bringing them into my life.

I love those kids with my entire heart as if they were my own. I actually really hate that saying. They are definitely my own kids, even if we don't share DNA, I'm they mama.

It confuses me how Jay continues to hurt my little Blue. She's the best daughter anyone can ask for. To see him hurt her repeatedly angers and saddens me at the same time.  I would do anything to take that pain away. I have to start thinking about how my actions will affect her and the twins. I'm a work in progress so I'll slip up from time to time but I gotta lessen the pettiness. It's fun being a little messy but I have to think of the kids first.

They've gone through so much and their dad shows no sign of changing. I can't throw shade. My main focus right now should be the children. To be honest, I don't even have to drag Shawn. He does a great job of doing that himself. I do hope he gets his shit together though — for the sake of the kids.

Anyway back to what I had planned for us. I found a cute little laser tag arena not too far from where Beyoncé lives. I planned a picnic as well since the park wasn't too far from the arena. I arranged the food with her chef and I also had my team bring something fun we can all do togther. I wanted us to spend some quality family time together, no screens just us bonding and enjoying each other's company.

I already told the driver where to go and we were already on our way to the arena. I told them to wear comfortable shoes and Rumi came out in her glittered pink heels. I told her exercise shoes and she said Beyoncé runs in heels so those are her exercise shoes too.

I brought a pair of sneakers for her because I knew she'd need them.  That little girl can be a lawyer with the way she fights for what she wants and half the time, Beyoncé and I can't get mad because she gets us on a technicality. 

The car stopped and the kids looked out the window. "Laser tag?" Blue asked excitedly. I opened the car and escorted Beyoncé out. Sir, Rumi, and Blue followed. We walked to the laser tag area, Rumi struggling to catch up.

"I can't play laser tag in my heels!" Rumi exclaimed dramatically.

"You shoulda listened to mama," Sir said with a shrug. Always knew Sir was a smart kid.

"Ru, I brought you extra shoes. They're in my backpack but you gotta listen to me next time, babygirl" I told her.

"I know, mama. I'm sorry." She hugged my leg and I bent down to hug her properly.

"I loooooove me some you" Rumi kissed my cheek and I held her hand. I laughed and shook my head.

"I love you too, Ru Ru"

———
45 minutes later
Beyoncé POV

This laser tag thing is a lot harder than it looks. Rumi and Blue were my teammates and we were losing badly.

I saw Megan crawling into a tunnel and I immediately wanted to smack her ass. I saw where the tunnel led and I tiptoed to the other end. I hid behind a rock fixture and surprised Megan as soon as she crawled out of the tunnel. She jolted and tried to retrieve her gun as soon as she saw me.

"This is for saying the eggs I cooked for breakfast were too burnt to eat" I pointed the gun at her and released the trigger.

She held her hands up and laughed. She couldn't aim or get hit again for 20 seconds. She extended her arms and I helped her get up. She pulled me in for a kiss and I smiled against her lips. Her buzzer sounded signaling the 20 seconds of immunity were up but neither of us pulled away.