part 48: Twists of Fate.

True love is not possessive, it sets you free.

After the call between Lucia and Ethan they decided to meet

Ethan and Lucia sat across from each other, the tension palpable in the air. Ethan's eyes bore into Lucia's, silently pleading for answers.

"Tell me, Lucia," Ethan began, his voice tight with apprehension, "what did my mother say to you?"

Lucia hesitated for a moment, her gaze flickering away before meeting Ethan's once more. "Your mother," she started slowly, "she expressed her desire to see a grandson. She believes it's the key to sorting everything out."

Ethan's brows furrowed in confusion. "And what did you tell her?" he pressed, his tone edged with urgency.

A wry smile played on Lucia's lips. "I told her I'm willing to play along, Ethan," she admitted, her words heavy with implication. "I'm willing to be the mother of your child again."

Ethan's heart sank at Lucia's confession, a mixture of shock and betrayal swirling within him. "But Lucia," he protested, "what about Lily? What about our family?"

Lucia's expression hardened, her eyes flashing with resentment. "Lily has her daughter," she retorted coldly. "Let her enjoy what she has. As for us, Ethan, we have unfinished business."

Ethan's mind raced as he grappled with Lucia's proposition. The weight of his mother's expectations and Lucia's ultimatum bore down on him, threatening to suffocate him. He knew he had to make a choice, a choice that could shatter the fragile semblance of peace he had fought so hard to maintain.

But deep down, Ethan couldn't ignore the nagging feeling that this wasn't the right path. He couldn't sacrifice his love for Lily, nor could he betray the family they had built together.

As the waves crashed against the shore in the distance, Ethan felt a surge of determination coursing through him. He stood up, his gaze unwavering as he addressed Lucia.

"I can't do this, Lucia," he declared, his voice resolute. "I won't sacrifice what I have with Lily for the sake of appeasing my mother or fulfilling your desires. Our past is just that - the past. It's time to move forward, and that means honoring the commitment I made to Lily."

Lucia's facade crumbled, her features contorting with frustration and anger. "You'll regret this, Ethan," she spat, her voice tinged with venom.

But Ethan remained steadfast, his resolve unshakeable. Turning away from Lucia, he walked away, leaving behind the shadows of their tumultuous history.

As he stepped into the sunlight, Ethan knew that he had chosen the path of love and integrity, even if it meant facing the consequences of his decision head-on. For in the end, true love wasn't about possession or manipulation - it was about freedom, honesty, and the courage to stand by what truly mattered.

Ethan's heart pounded in his chest as he approached his mother's house, the weight of her ultimatum heavy on his mind. He knew that confronting her would be a daunting task, but he couldn't ignore the gravity of the situation any longer.

Entering the familiar surroundings of his childhood home, Ethan found his mother waiting for him in the living room, her expression stern and unyielding.

"Mother," Ethan began, his voice steady despite the turmoil raging within him, "we need to talk."

Mrs. Smith fixed him with a steely gaze, her eyes devoid of warmth. "Sit down, Ethan," she commanded, her tone leaving no room for argument.

As Ethan took a seat opposite her, Mrs. Smith wasted no time in getting to the point. "I spoke to Lucia," she stated bluntly, her words hanging heavy in the air.

Ethan braced himself for what was to come, knowing that his mother's expectations would be anything but reasonable.

"She's agreed to be the mother of your child," Mrs. Smith continued, her tone laced with authority. "It's time for you to fulfill your duty and marry her."

Ethan's jaw clenched at his mother's words, a surge of anger and frustration bubbling up within him. "Mother," he began, his voice tight with restraint, "I can't do this. I won't betray Lily like that."

Mrs. Smith's eyes flashed with disdain, her patience wearing thin. "You will do as I say, Ethan," she insisted, her voice dripping with menace. "If you refuse, you'll no longer have a mother."

Ethan felt his resolve harden in the face of his mother's threats. "What about Lily?" he demanded, his voice tinged with desperation.

His mother's expression remained impassive. "Lily will be none the wiser," she replied coldly. "It's time for you to prioritize your family's legacy, Ethan. And that means doing what's necessary to secure a future for our name."

As the weight of his mother's words settled over him, Ethan felt a surge of defiance rising within him. He refused to be manipulated any longer, to sacrifice his happiness for the sake of tradition and expectation.

Standing up from his seat, Ethan met his mother's gaze with unwavering determination. "I won't do it, Mother," he declared, his voice steady despite the tremors of uncertainty coursing through him. "I won't abandon Lily, nor will I forsake the love we share."

With that, Ethan turned on his heel and strode out of the house, leaving behind the echoes of his mother's threats and the suffocating weight of her expectations. He knew that the road ahead would be fraught with challenges, but he was resolved to face them head-on, guided by the unwavering light of love and integrity.

But his mother's words stopped him when he was leaving

"Ethan, if you don't do as I say," his mother's voice cut through the tension, her words laced with an undeniable threat, "I will tell Lily everything. About your work, about who kidnapped your daughter. I know it was Alfredo, and he'll stay silent for now."

Ethan froze in his tracks, his heart sinking at the weight of his mother's ultimatum. He had hoped to protect Lily from the harsh realities of his world, but now he faced the prospect of her discovering the truth in the most devastating manner possible.

His mother's words hung heavy in the air, a suffocating reminder of the lengths she would go to in order to ensure her will was obeyed.

"Okay," Ethan finally conceded, his voice heavy with resignation. "I'll do it. I'll marry Lucia again."

As the words left his lips, Ethan felt a profound sense of defeat wash over him. He knew that his decision would have far-reaching consequences, but in that moment, he felt powerless to defy his mother's will.

Turning away from her, Ethan made his way down the path, his footsteps heavy with the weight of his sacrifice. He knew that his life would never be the same again, that the shadows of his past would continue to haunt him, but he also knew that he would do whatever it took to protect the woman he loved and the family they had built together.