Chapter 15: Torn Between Brothers

The sun cast a golden hue over the ivy-covered buildings of Columbia University as Taylor and Selena strolled through the picturesque campus, their laughter mingling with the chatter of students bustling to and fro.

"So, how are you holding up?" Selena asked, casting a sideways glance at Taylor, concern etched in her features.

Taylor offered her friend a reassuring smile, though there was a hint of uncertainty in her eyes. "I'm okay, Selena," she replied, her voice tinged with resignation. "Just trying to take it one day at a time."

Selena nodded in understanding, her gaze scanning the throngs of students milling about the quad. "Well, if you ever need to talk or anything, you know I'm here for you, right?" she offered, her tone sincere.

Taylor's smile widened at Selena's unwavering support, a swell of gratitude swelling in her chest. "Thanks, Sel," she replied, her voice filled with warmth. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Suddenly, the sleek black limousine glided to a stop beside them, and Taylor's heart skipped a beat as she recognized Ian Somerhalder leaning out from the window.

"Selena, I'll catch up with you later," Taylor said with a reassuring smile, gently nudging her friend toward the waiting limo. "You two need to talk."

Selena's eyebrows shot up in surprise, her gaze flickering between Taylor and Ian. "Are you sure?" she asked, uncertainty coloring her tone.

Taylor nodded, offering her friend an encouraging smile. "Yeah, I'll be fine. Go ahead," she urged, her voice filled with quiet determination.

With a hesitant nod, Selena approached the waiting limo, her steps cautious yet resolute. As she reached the open door, Ian's eyes widened in surprise, his expression a mix of relief and apprehension.

"Selena, please," Ian began, his voice tinged with regret as he reached out to her. "Let me explain."

But Selena held up a hand, her expression guarded yet open to the possibility of understanding. "I'm listening," she replied, her tone softer than before.

Selena fixed Ian with a steady gaze, her voice laced with frustration and sorrow. "I've tried to change you, Ian. Over and over again. But you... you're unchangeable."

Ian's jaw tightened, his eyes searching Selena's face for any sign of wavering. "I know I've made mistakes," he began, his voice tinged with desperation. "But I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make things right. Just give me a chance."

Selena shook her head, her resolve firm. "It's too late for that," she replied, her voice barely above a whisper. "I can't keep waiting for you to change. I need to focus on myself now."

With a heavy sigh, Selena turned away, her steps faltering for a moment before regaining their purposeful stride. Without a backward glance, she walked away, leaving Ian standing beside his limo, his heart heavy with the weight of regret and longing.

Taylor hesitated at the threshold of the empty classroom, her heart pounding with uncertainty as she spotted Michele Morrone sitting casually on his desk. A wave of conflicting emotions washed over her, the memory of Carlos's charm still fresh in her mind, even as she struggled to maintain her composure in Michele's presence.

"Hi, Professor Morrone," Taylor greeted, her voice tinged with a forced casualness as she attempted to mask the turmoil raging within her.

Michele glanced up from his papers, his expression guarded yet welcoming. "Good morning, Taylor," he replied, his tone polite but tinged with a hint of tension. "I hope you're ready for today's class."

Taylor nodded, her gaze flickering briefly towards the door as she fought to suppress the memories of her passionate encounter with Carlos. "Of course," she replied, her voice betraying none of the turmoil swirling beneath the surface. "I'm always prepared."