Only Temporary- Part 4

#

Rachel

My heart races as we pull into the driveway. I've been trying to hold myself together since we got in the car, but I can't stop replaying the explosion over and over again in my head. Thinking about everything that happened today is beginning to consume me.

My chest tightens and I start to feel like I'm overheating. I hop out of the car quickly before Lucas notices. The leaves crunch under my feet as I head down the path and up onto our front porch. He meets me at the door and I lean back against him slightly as he unlocks it, trying to hide my face.

I just want to get inside and go to the bathroom so he doesn't see me like this.

As he opens the door, I try to brush past him and up the stairs, but I feel an arm loop around my waist and pull me back.

"Rachel, wait please." He turns me around so that I'm facing him. His expression falls as soon as he looks at me. "Sweetheart, are you okay?"

I lose all control over my emotions and start sobbing. Lucas immediately pulls me against him and holds me tight.

"Rach," he says softly. "Are you having a panic attack?" He lifts my chin up so he can look at my face. I can't answer him, but he nods at me and pulls me back into a hug. "I want you to match my breathing, okay?" He takes a big, deep breath and exhales slowly.

When he starts again, I try to follow him with my own breathing. After a few rounds, I start to feel the pressure on my chest fade away and my shaking becomes manageable.

"You're doing great, Rach. It's okay, I'm right here." Lucas' sweet voice is so gentle and calming that I can feel my distress melting away.

I pull away from him slowly, and see that there's wet patches of dust and mascara on his shirt.

"I think this needs to be washed," I say quietly as I wipe at Lucas' shirt. He chuckles softly and presses his forehead against mine.

"I think you are the one who needs to be washed, actually," he teases.

I look down at my clothes and see that my outfit is covered in dust. My top is no longer black and my skirt is blotted with stains.

"I'm sorry about your new clothes," Lucas says. "You still look gorgeous, and I'm sure the marks will come out, right?"

I laugh weakly at him and delicately place my hand on his cheek.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. If not, then you have to take me shopping." I point at him and he laughs a little louder as the stress fades. I sigh deeply as I hear a car pull up outside.

"I should probably go and shower," I say as I begin to head up the stairs. Lucas grabs my hand gently.

"Okay, I'll be here if you need me. Just yell." He smiles at me lovingly, making my heart burst.

I don't know what I would do without him.

I lean forward and kiss him on the cheek before heading up to take a shower.