Chapter 14: The Final Session- Part 1

Houston, Texas, in Dr. Wilson's Office, on Thursday, December 12th, 2030 at 3:00 pm

Lucas

I guide Rachel through the doorway with my hand placed firmly on her lower back. We used to come into this office with so much distance between us. Even though he has always sat within a foot of me, his heart felt so far away. My stomach always felt like it was going to explode with anxiety. Now, we are walking in here with the same elation as if we were meeting a dear friend for lunch.

"Rachel, Lucas! So good to see you!" Dr. Wilson wraps Rachel in a warm hug before turning to me. Our embrace is slightly rougher, but not nearly as aggressive as when Cooper and I 'hug'.

"Good to see you too, doc," I beam at him and rest a hand on his shoulder. "And, Merry Christmas."

This was our last scheduled session with Dr. Wilson. His marriage counseling course is three months long, but it can be extended as needed. It's an exciting feeling, but I am also going to miss seeing Dr. Wilson every week and hearing all of his words of encouragement.

Dr. Wilson moves to sit down in his plush armchair. I grin at Rachel as I plop down on our new favorite velvet couch and pat the cushion next to me. She moves to sit down next to me, and I raise an arm to rest on the back of the sofa. She snuggles into me as I give her a loving squeeze and kiss the side of her head.

"How have things been since last week?" Dr. Wilson's smile is radiating joy as he looks at us.

We have him to thank for all of our comfort right now.

"Well, we took Anne and Cooper to play paintball over the weekend," Rachel says through a chuckle. Dr. Wilson's face lights up even more.

"Is that so?" He takes his glasses off and cleans them with the violet cloth he always has resting on his end table.

"Yeah, they almost had us too, but we are the reigning champions." I jiggle Rachel's arm, making her laugh and filling my heart with even more triumph.

Rachel and I have been trying to go and play at the sporting center in Beaumont once a month as a date night. We have tried indoor skydiving when it was raining, but besides that we just compete in the paintball competitions.

"It sounds like the two of you have mastered your communication with each other," Dr. Wilson says as he wipes his eyes. "Cooper sure is a class act."

Rachel and I chuckle with him as we joke about the match for a while.

"Well, I suppose we should dive into our final session together." Dr. Wilson's voice was somber yet relieved. "As much as I enjoy meeting with the two of you every week, I am thrilled to be kicking you out of my office," he laughs heartily as he grabs his binder from the table. "We are going to do something that is unique to the final session. This next exercise is crucial for your continuous independent work on your relationship." Dr. Wilson opens up his binder and flips to a new page. "I would like to ask each of you a few questions without the other in the room," he begins.

Rachel and I glance at each other nervously.

"Don't worry, it is nothing negative. These questions are simply meant to give you individual space to reflect on the events over the last year and your time with me," he explains.

I breathe a sigh of relief and rub Rachel's arm.

"I would like Lucas to go first, if that's alright with you, Rachel?"

I turn to look at her, studying her expression. She smiles at me sweetly and nods.

"Sure, where should I go?" she asks as she stands up gently from the couch.