Chapter 8- Lindsey and Liam (Loki)

(An acknowledgment to anyone bothering to read this because I am kind of depressed again
I hope that some of you are sad little fucks like me that just need some representation to help figure out who the fuck they are, and you somehow find this story and just thumbs up it like that cat meme.
Anyway, carry on...)

I woke up cramped and cold. First sleep  away from that throne and I slept in a filthy alley.
I grunt and stretch and then whip out the temp pad. The hologram flashes 7.
How does this so-called 'game' even work? I'm certain He Who Remains is just trying to mess with me. Why, though?
"Hey, Loki," a voice nearby calls. I jump and shove the temp pad back in my pocket.
"If I would have known you were sleeping in the alley I would have offered the couch," Michael said. I just stared up at him. "Um, never mind. Look, I can tell I made you uncomfortable last night, and I've been really thinking it through. I'm glad you're still here, although you don't look very... dry. Anyway, you made me open my eyes to the life that I was living, and I'm going to start making some changes."
What is happening?
"So i just wanted to apologize and thank you an- ok honestly why are you sitting here?"
"Umm," I say nervously, "I'm on my way to visit someone and didn't want a hotel," I say lamely. Michael doesn't look convinced but doesn't question me any further.
"Well, thanks again and... stay dry," He shrugs and walks away. Then I am able to slow my heart rate. I try to process what just happened, but it makes no sense.
So I decided to move on. I change my clothes to a different suit and get out the temp pad again. I'm unsure of where to go, and although I managed to work it recently, I am still getting used to the temp pad again. After clicking around I decided to just go for it. I open a time door and go through it.
I walk into a run down neighbourhood. Old pine trees line houses with chipped exteriors and beat up cars.
I am completely uncertain of where I am or why I am here. I fiddle with the temp pad but can make no sense of it. Then I hear shouting and a door swinging open.
I am standing in the driveway of a house beside a brick house with a little run down front porch. Mostly hidden by the pines, I observe without being spotted. A man with graying hair and a rumpled suit storms out the door onto the little porch.
Mobius
Or is it?
"Lindsey I can't keep up with this-"
"Maybe if you didn't go out-!"
"How many times do I have to tell you?! I don't go out! It's you and work, that's it!"
"Then where's our money?!"
"I bring it home," He leaned into her, now an angry quiet, "I brought home my paycheck faithfully and it's supposed to feed us and give us a roof. But I don't know where it's going, maybe it's the men you like drinking with when I'm at work?!"
"How dare you!" She wails "Those are potential bosses! Didn't you say I needed to get a job? On top of our 3 kids?"
"Lindsey, we need money to care for the kids! And I don't think potential bosses give their potential employees jewelry do they? Or is that where the money is going?"
"Liam you don't understand how hard it is caring for 3 kids-"
"Oh don't give me that! I perfectly understand how hard it would be if you actually did take care of them. But instead I hear Tom telling me that mommy brought home a friend and sent them away to play with the neighbors," his voice was now breaking with tears, "Lindsey, haven't I done my best, what did I do wrong, what have I done to deserve all this-!"
For no reason, out of the blue, Lindsey smacked Liam so hard across the face that the sound echoed. Liam stumbled back. I couldn't see his face, he was staggering with his back to me, but I can imagine the shock and pain.
I scrunch my eyes closed and turn my head away slightly. My heart is beating like a drum and tears threaten to spill.
"Lindsey," Liam says faintly with horror.
"Who do you think you are shaming me for having a life! You think I want to be stuck here forever with you? Grow up. I want a divorce. Don't come asking for me or the children until you have a lawyer."
Lindsey starts walking inside as Liam gets over a bit of shock.
"The kids? Lindsey no, no you have to let me see the kids." He gets up and makes a break for the door but Lindsey is already inside and locked the door. Liam fumbles with the handle anyway.
"No Lindsey, please, let me see them. Lindsey, you have to let me see them, just let me say goodbye. " he begs through sobs and collapses against the door.
I find myself collapsing against the pine tree, tears now pouring down my cheeks.
Mobius, someone who is so universally kind and thoughtful, and yet he ends up living these depressing lives. I sit in place crying and listening, and it gets worse when I hear him get up and walk to the run down car. I peek behind the tree and can see him resting his forehead on the side of the car. He walks in my direction in order to get to the driver's seat, and I can see his face wet from crying and red from a slap. I curl back behind the tree and listen to him get in and drive away. Almost immediately after I hear the shriek of an upset child, and know that I can't take it anymore. Against the screaming in my head, I take out my temp pad and manage to open a time door. I stagger into it, leaving the variant's sad timeline behind me.