Chapter Ten - Yee-Haw

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are.                                 - Anais Nin

Chapter Song - Kill The Lights by Luke Bryan

"Is everything so yee-haw?" The restaurant we sit in is wood walls, wood floors, buffalo heads and horns as the crowd mushes with cowboy hats and slang talk I don't understand. 

"In Texas? Yup." Kaylee answers. 

"One of you order for me, I don't know whats good here." I pass them the menu with five million options on it, which is both overwhelming and secure. 

Adele laughs lightly, her mood still dim since lunch. "We'll share, how about that?" Kaylee suggests and I nod, feeling good with that option. 

"Is there something wrong with me?" Adele blurts out. 

"Not that I can tell." I answer. 

"Not a thing." Kaylee adds. "Why do you ask?"

Adele peers down, her dark hair covering some of her probably dim face. I wouldn't say she's my bestest friend yet, nor someone I know well enough to memorise the expressions of their face, but I know her well enough that she's a usually bubbly person. 

So for anyone - especially a ratty little guy - to burst that bubble, well, fuck him. And not sexually, like fuck him up violently. 

That's just one option though. 

"No reason." She mumbles. 

Kaylee huffs. "Ford is a jackass. And I know that doesn't help, but what guy is really that good if he makes you feel like this? I get he's your friend, he's my friend, too, but not a very good one to not acknowledge you like this." She tells her. 

"I know." Adele hums, looking out from our secluded booth. 

"You know what?" I pipe in, that lightbulb flicking on. 

"What?" The two question before me. 

"You should try moving on, we're meeting at a bar later after this cow riding thingo, so why not while he's there flirt with another guy. And not only will it get your mind off that four wheel drive, but it might also show you there's better guys than him out in the world." I propose. 

Kaylee's eyes light up. "Yes, thats such a good idea!" 

"He doesn't like me like that, he wouldn't get jealous." Adele says. 

Both Kaylee and I groan, her's more dramatic than mine. "It's not about making him jealous. It's about making you feel confident and wanted, because any guy would be lucky to have you." Kaylee tells her, and I nod in agreement. 

"I mean, I could try." She shrugs a slender shoulder. 

"You will try. I'll make you." I tell her. 

She snorts. "You're kind of aggressive, but I like your bluntness. It's helpful."