For Your Sake

Magnolia City, Fiore, Oct-15-X795

I hate this. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it, I FUCKING HATE IT! But hating it won't do me any good because as much as I, as everyone, as hard as each of us thought about this... there was no other answer we could reach to solve this problem.

"Wha.... what did you just say Natsu?" she asked.

Her sweet brown eyes were clouded with confusion, her brow furrowed and cheeks slowly losing the soft blush they always had; and not from the countless bandaged wounds all over her body. No, she was simply going pale due to fear.

I curled and uncurled my fists, trying to remember my resolve. I came here and took this choice to protect her. She can't face something like what happened to her a second time.... if I allow a "Next Time", I might not be able to make it in time.

"You heard me Lucy. You are out of the team." I repeated.

The words slithered from my lips with a strength I was hoping was convincing enough, because that was the last thing I had in that moment. I didn't have the strength, the speed, the brains to protect her anymore. The rest of the team was worried as well; ever since the last mission we realized that the enemies popping up for us were starting to get too overpowered. We never wanted it to come to this but with foes like that, we can't focus on protecting the rear.

My eyes turned away from hers and moved to her once perfect neck. A deep scar tainted the smooth flow of her skin, one that would remain there forever, because I was almost too late this time, all too close to not being there for her.

I looked back into her eyes and re-affirmed myself while remembering the events of that last mission...

 ~ Three Weeks Ago, Somewhere in the Southern Mountains of Fiore~

I curse all heaven and hell as I run around this stupid mountain maze. Why did I ever let Lucy out of my sight?!

"Natsu wait up! We have to think things through!!" Gray yelled.

I heard him but I am done with that bullshit, that's not my style and it's not what it's needed.

We had been kicking ass for about half a day in this maze of a guild we were tasked to destroy. The darkest guild in Fiore right now: Dwarf Hammer. We were doing just fine, kicking ass like the usual. Wendy had us all in awe by taking down the second in command a little while ago. Everything was going just fine, until I lost sight of her and a scream screeched through my ears.

I've spent the last 5 hours, with almost no rest, breaking through this stupid maze's walls and I still can't find a trace of her smell! I don't know what it might be, but I just can't sense her at all. It must be these guys' fault; I'll burn them to ashes, all of them.

Wendy and the others are helping me move through, they take care of any mid-level flies and follow up as soon as possible. Had I not lost sight of Lucy this mission could've been a soft breeze. She had been doing good but.......ok Natsu focus, no time to lament things now. I need to get to her.

Got it! Her scent! Higher into the mountain. Just wait Lucy, I'll get you back. I swear.

I blast open two huge doors with a breath attack to find a room filled with golems and mages, at least 300 in total. Seriously, this is one annoying guild. They cover the lack of power with numbers, but that won't be of any use today. Not against our team.

"Natsu, we will open a path for you, just move forward" Erza says behind me as Wendy and Gray take my sides.

They all launch a ranged attack and I follow its tail to the door at the other end of the hall. I burn the door open and almost puke at the sight and smells before me.