The Need to Believe

Acalypha City, Fiore, Oct-31-X795

I tightened the grip around my arms and tried to keep my legs moving forward even as they grew stiff. Rather than a walk on a street it felt more like a city sized freezer, the wind blowed, icy and sharp, the snow kept piling up wherever. I swore this was supposed to be the time of Orange leaves, not snowboarding on the streets!

I was reaching the center of Acalypha; Sabertooth's hometown. It had been two weeks since Natsu and Fairy Tail kicked me out. Since then, I had been trying to reach out to other guilds to take me in, but with no success. Every single time I knocked on a door, they mentioned to me that they had enough mages or not enough business.

I shivered and my stomach growled. My savings were running very low, I needed to save as much as possible since I was not currently earning a steady income as a Mage and I still needed to pay for transportation and lodging from town to town. Well, had to, from the last town I could only afford a halfway trip. I had been walking for three whole days now. I think the last time I had a meal was about two days ago and water.... yesterday?

I raised my eyes and finally I saw my destination: The Sabertooth guild. I stared in awe for a second, it was huge, just as big as Fairy Tail's; the grand saber tiger roaring from the top of the roof. I'm sure if there was no snow trying to bury it down, the view would be magnificent.

I tried to move my feet, but they no longer answered my will. The snow was making its way inside my boots and I couldn't feel my toes. I looked to the buildings around me, trying to see if there was anyone out there that might be able to help me get to the guild. But there were no people in the streets which sort of made sense with the raging blizzard. I sneezed once, twice... aah, I might have a fever.

I moved my gaze to the guild again and I was met with three of them. There was supposed to be only one right? Which one is the real one?... Hallucinations, I definitely have a fever. The weather was so nice a couple of days ago, why is it snowing here? Maybe I can sleep it off.

"Hey! Hey Lady! Don't just sleep there!" I heard a voice call out to me.

Yet, I was too sleepy, just a couple of minutes to gather my strength, then I'll start walking again; so I just left my knees to give in.

"Whoa! Snap out of it Miss!" I heard again.

Warm and strong arms grabbed me by the waist and shoulders just as I was falling forwards. My heart made a summersault just by feeling his warmth, could it be? Did he come back for me?

"Na...tsu..." I somehow stuttered out.

Those arms that held me strongly shook me a little, enough for my vision to clear out, but the eyes and face I met were not Natsu's.

"Hey, come on, stay awake. I got you ok? So just stay awake, come on, stay with me. Bain! Get your ass over here!!" He sounded frantic, but he was not Natsu.

I gritted my teeth and curled up just before closing my eyes. I saw Natsu's face when I did, I remembered his voice; that sweet mischievous voice that made me feel like nothing in this world could hurt me. That reassuring voice I thought would always have my back and care for me through thick and thin. I fell for that voice, that swift and cheerful tone of his, I loved it. Only for me to find out that everything had been a lie.

The pain from the memories made me open my eyes again, and I was faced with a very unfamiliar wooden ceiling. There was little light in the room, and I heard a fire crackling near me.

Where was I?

"Hey there, Sleeping Beauty. How are you feeling?" A voice came from beside me.

When I tried to move my head towards the source of the voice, I realized some of my muscles were still stiff from the cold. I was lying in a bed; the room small, and all made of wood.