Pride & Doubt

Town of Kaycen, Fiore, Dec-8-X795

"The earth rumbled, I thought it was an earthquake, so I kept minding my business and doing my job. But then! This HUUUUUUGE fire ball, almost like a little sun! Shone from above me and two seconds later snow avalanched from each side of me! Had that thing hit me straight forward I would still be digging my way out!" Bain said in a cheerful tone.

The younger slayers were listening to Bain in the whole length of the expression. Pyla, that weird honey-eyed slayer was the one at most awe.

"Pipe down Bain, you've been telling us that story for the past three days." Said a girl from behind the bar counter.

Elena, that silver-haired beauty which also happened to be our cook said patiently to Bain. I looked at my teammate from my spot in a corner table, a small smile on my lips. It's true that this guy hadn't shut up about that mission for the past couple of days but I, for one, didn't mind being reminded of my accomplishments.

For once I got this feeling of pride, of being conscious that I did something significant to help those around me. That I didn't get in the way, or got kidnapped or lost my keys; no, I helped my team, with my own fists and in my own strength I kept them safe.

I fought back hard.

I looked at my bandaged hand. Below it, that pink mark remained. I was no longer a Fairy Tail mage, I was no longer that person that was caught and butchered out. Nor did I have to deal with those self-centered mages that only thought of strength.

I curled and uncurled my fist, feeling the warmth of the fire burning within me. Telling me that joining Fairy Tail, was something of the past. That those feelings of belonging and those bonds were nothing more than lies, and that the right place for me, was right here.

I relaxed my grip and sighed; I lowered my left arm and rested my head on the hinge of the elbow atop the table. Even if this was my home, if this was finally the place I had been looking for to settle in; why couldn't I bring myself to get rid of that pink insignia?

"You ok city girl?" Axel's voice came from across the table.

I grunted to hide the jump my heart made when hearing his voice and closed my eyes, making an effort to pay him no mind.

"Go away Axel, I'm trying to ignore Bain." I answered.

"I can't leave, you look gloomy and in pain; that's not good. Don't mind Bain, you'll learn to let him slide." He said.

I opened my eyes slightly and his hand popped in to leave a single red pill in front of me. I frowned and realized that the area of the implant was itching. It had been almost a month and it was still uncomfortable at times.

"Thanks, how did you know?" I asked.

I sat up, took the pill up to my mouth and swallowed it dryly.

"I just figured that was part of the reason." He said and turned to where Bain and the younger mages were.

I stared at his profile, at those eyes of his, his black hair and his squared shoulders. My cheeks warmed up a bit and I turned away, laying down again.

He had been here for me since the beginning, he'd been teaching me the arts of Dragon Slaying with patience and spartan discipline. He invited me here and had made every effort known to him to make sure I stayed comfortable. What had I done for him though?

"Hey Axel?" I mustered up, without meeting his eyes.

"Hmm?" He answered back but I knew he was not looking at me either.