Chapter 13

As Brea stirred from her slumber, a dull ache reverberated throughout her body, a grim reminder of the ordeal she had endured. Slowly, she became aware of her surroundings—the sterile walls of the chamber, the soft hum of machinery, and the faint scent of the healing nutrient solution that enveloped her.

With a groan, Brea sat up, her head throbbing with pain as she tried to make sense of the situation. The alarm blaring through the facility only added to her confusion, its urgent tones echoing off the walls with a sense of impending danger.

A robotic voice pierced the chaos, its words sending a chill down Brea's spine. "Emergency. A dangerous situation has been detected in Sector 7. All personnel must evacuate to the designated safe zone within twenty minutes. Failure to comply will result in automatic lockdown and activation of defence systems."

Panic seized Brea as she struggled to comprehend the gravity of the situation. What could have happened in Sector 7 to warrant such a drastic response? And why was she only waking up now with no memory of what had transpired?

Brea's heart pounded in her chest as the countdown began, her mind racing with a million unanswered questions. With a sense of trepidation, she forced herself to her feet, her muscles protesting against the strain after being submerged in the healing solution for so long.

The door to the chamber slid open with a hiss, revealing an empty corridor bathed in dim light. Brea hesitated momentarily, her instincts warring within her as she weighed the risks of venturing into the unknown.

But time was running out, and she knew she had to press forward. With a deep breath to steady her nerves, she stepped out into the corridor, her senses on high alert for any sign of danger.

Every shadow seemed to conceal a potential threat, and every sound was magnified in the eerie silence that enveloped the facility. Brea's footsteps echoed through the empty halls, the tension thick in the air as she moved cautiously forward.

As she navigated the labyrinthine corridors, Brea's mind raced with thoughts of the experiments that had brought her to this place. Had she been nothing more than a pawn in their twisted games? Or was there something more sinister at play?

Brea's sense of urgency intensified as the countdown continued its relentless march toward zero. With each passing second, the weight of impending danger pressed down on her shoulders, urging her to move faster, to find a way out before it was too late.

The robotic voice echoed through the facility again, its tone cold and mechanical. "Attention. Ten minutes until automatic lockdown and activation of defence systems. All personnel must evacuate to the designated safe zone immediately."

Panic surged through Brea as the reality of her situation sank in. With time running out, she knew she had to act fast. Ignoring the pounding in her head and the ache in her limbs, she quickened her pace, her footsteps echoing loudly in the empty corridors.

As she rounded another corner, the robotic voice sounded again, its announcement sending a shiver down Brea's spine. "Defense mode activated. All exits are sealed. Intruders will be met with lethal force."

Dread settled over Brea like a suffocating blanket as she realized the gravity of her predicament. With the defence systems now online, escape seemed impossible. But she refused to give up hope, her survival instincts kicking into overdrive as she searched desperately for a way out.

With no time to spare, Brea made a split-second decision and veered off into a new corridor, hoping against hope that it would lead her to safety. The passage was narrower than the others, dimly lit and eerily silent, starkly contrasting to the chaos unfolding elsewhere in the facility.