Chapter 16

As the last zombies fell to the ground, Brea and Alex surveyed the grim aftermath of the battle. The corridor was now littered with the lifeless bodies of the undead, their grotesque forms twisted in unnatural positions, a testament to the ferocity of the fight.

Brea's heart sank as she took in the scene, their situation bearing down on her like a heavy burden. She could feel the exhaustion creeping into her bones, the relentless battle taking its toll on her weary body.

Beside her, the calm boy stood silently, his eyes wide with fear and awe. Despite the chaos around him, he remained remarkably composed, taking in the scene with a quiet sense of resignation.

Alex heaved a weary sigh, his chest heaving with exertion as he leaned against the wall for support. "That was too close," he muttered, wiping the sweat from his brow with the back of his hand. "I don't know how long we can keep this up."

Brea remained silent, her mind racing as she tried to devise a plan. She knew they couldn't stay in the corridor forever, not with the threat of more zombies lurking around every corner. They needed to keep moving if they had any hope of surviving.

"Are you okay?" she asked him softly, her voice reassuring amidst the chaos.

The boy nodded, his gaze never wavering from Brea's face. He drew strength from her presence, finding solace in her steady demeanour.

As Brea and Alex made their way through the corridor, the other survivors trailed behind them, their faces pale with shock and horror at the gruesome sight unfolding before them. Some gasped in disbelief, while others averted their eyes, unable to bear the grotesque spectacle.

"What the hell is this place?" one survivor whispered, his voice trembling with fear.

Another shook her head in disbelief. "I don't know, but I don't want to stick around to find out."

"This is sick!" he exclaimed, his voice rising angrily. "How could anyone do this to another human being?"

Their hands trembled as they clutched the weapon tightly. "I didn't sign up for this," she muttered, her voice laced with fear.

Brea spared a glance at the survivors trailing behind them, their faces pale and drawn with shock. She could see the fear etched in their eyes, a reflection of her inner turmoil. But there was also a glimmer of determination, a stubborn refusal to succumb to the darkness that threatened to engulf them.

Alex's voice cut through the tense silence, his tone laced with bitterness and disgust. "This is what they've been hiding from us," he spat. "The sick experiments they've been conducting behind closed doors."

Brea remained silent. She could feel the weight of the little boy's hand in hers, his presence a source of comfort amidst the chaos.

Alex's expression is grim as he tore his gaze away from the glass panels. He spat, his voice dripping with venom. "These sick bastards deserve to rot in hell for what they've done," he said, his voice tight with disgust.

"Come on, people," he called out to the other survivors, his voice loud and commanding. "Let's keep moving. We've got places to be, and I'd rather not end up as a lab rat again."

The survivors nodded in agreement, their fear mingling with determination. With a sense of urgency, they pressed on, their footsteps echoing against the cold, sterile walls. The survivors stayed close together, their eyes darting nervously from side to side as they navigated the maze-like corridors.

They encountered more signs of the facility's dark experiments as they moved forward. Some rooms had rows of tanks containing twisted forms floating in a sickly green liquid. Others held tables littered with strange instruments, their purpose unknown but undoubtedly sinister.