A Pool of Darkness

"SHE'S ESCAPED!" Exclaimed the man.

The others looked away in shame, hoping to avoid the cross fire. He walked over and addressed the head table in the conference. Three people sat on the head table. Two men and a woman. They were the board heads who were in charge of the Institute.

The man spoke, "We have to find her. She is the key! I'm sure of it! We were so close to uncovering the truth. If you'll allow me the permission to-,"

"That is beyond what you're requesting, Doctor." Spoke the woman to the right. "If I recall, your 'prison' can hold the strongest of these weilders. Yet one escape. To believe we have allowed our expenses to invent such a thing, only for it to fail."

The doctor clenched his fist and looked down.

The man on the left from the table spoke next. "My question is how she escaped."

One of the people from the audience stood. He addresses himself as one of the doctor's assistants who was their. "When the power was exceeding beyond the limit and the quakes, it left cracks in the prison. That was how she was able to reach out her blade and create a portal out."

The woman spoke again, "Looks as though their is a flaw to your creation, Doctor."

"But it also gave us insight on how far these weilders power can achieve. This girl must be powerful. Can she really be the one?" Said the man on the left. The man in the middle only tapped his finger on the table. Listening. Thinking. "What of the footage of the creature."

A man in uniform stepped forward and addressed the head table. He's the head of security. "It is unknown of the creature. Footage of the insident was left corrupted. However, we were able to recover the footage before it was lost to us," He turned his attention to the screen and showed two people. "On close view, these two individuals appeared at the time as the creature. They were hooded, and their faces remained blurry. Our team is working effortlessly to uncover their identities. We are absolutely sure they are weilders as well."

The man in the middle stopped tapping. The conference room went silent. He stood. "It's been two weeks," he walked over to the center. The doctor and the head of security removed themselves. "Since these creatures began to reek havoc to our city. With these incidents, the king himself is beginning to question our actions. He grows suspicious of the Institute. Not only can we not allow that, but if he knew what we've been actually striving for, he would shut us down and have us all arrested for treason against the crown and state. Our main objective must be carried out. And we must make haste. The door...it is open. Is that correct, Doctor."

The doctor studdered, "Y- yes! But sir, how did you know?"

"Hmph. A bird told me. He told me that the key opened the door and is walking among us now. So tell me, why is the girl important when we can use all of our efforts to look for this key?"

The doctor was silent. He had his own agenda to use the girl. He sought knowledge, and the girl was the answer to reach it. He tred carefully. Then, an idea came to be, "Not only can she hold secrets of what we seek, she can also lead us to the key. Weilders always find other weilders. And once they have the key, they might as well lead us to the opened door, sir."

"Hmmm, interesting." He turned his attention to the head security. "Reg," the head of security went to attention. "During the incident of this creature, how is it that you let these weilders get away?"

"Sir, the citizens needed immediate evaluation. Also, our weapons seemed to not have that much effect on the creature, so "

"In other words, you didn't know they were their after the fact. These mistakes leave you a poor record, Captain." The man turned back to his table. The Captain looked down in shame. "I'll have our people look for these weilders. Double time! We already have troops looking for the escapee. I'll not disappoint, sir!"