Chapter 5

Hot shot woke up in the morning he was getting checked over by the nurses. "Here is your medicine Hot shot," a nurse named Josie said.

Hot shot took the medicine. There were at least 4 different ones. Hot shot took all of them without a fight. "Good job," Josie said.

Then Hot shot headed to the radiology department to get his radiation therapy done. Hot shot was a little bit nervous still but he was getting used to it. He had only been getting radiation therapy for about a week. It was Friday. Which meant on Saturday and Sunday he was going to have a break. He was feeling some of the side effects of the radiation therapy.

Hot shot was feeling tired. Had a lack of appetite, had tummy aches, and he felt weak too. But Dr. Grete said it was normal.

Hot shot came in the room for his turn. The radiographer named Tallie put his mask on as he laid on the table. Then the bed was moved into position. Hot shot was staying very still. "Okay Hot shot we are ready to start," Tallie said.

"Okay," Hot shot said. Now Hot shot was alone in the room. The machine started and it was going well then after about 20 minutes it was over.

"Okay Hot shot you are all done," Tallie said. "You will get another treatment on Monday," she said.

"Okay," Hot shot said.

Hot shot then had to go get some tests done. Hot shot got a lumbar puncture. He also got an MRI and something called PET scan. Hot shot also got a check up too. They wanted to make sure Hot shot was doing okay during the start of treatment.

Hot shot during the next couple of weeks he was getting radiation. He was also getting tests done too. He was still getting therapy to help with his gait, balance and walking straight. He was still having problems with that. It might be a long term or life long problem. Hot shot noticed his hair was starting to fall out today.

He noticed it when he woke up this morning. He woke up and stretched. Then he rubbed his eyes. Hot shot then saw some hair on his pillow. It was blonde like his and his mother's. "Mummy I think my hair is starting to fall out," Hot shot said looking at the hair on his pillow and picking it up. It was a small handful handful of hair not a lot but it was enough for Hot shot to notice on his pillow it was several strands.

Quickshadow saw the hair in Hot shot's hands. "Yes I see it Poppet," Quickshadow said.

Hot shot was feeling kind of sad right now. "Poppet are you sad about your hair starting to fall out?" Quickshadow asked.

"It's not that, it's just I am going to miss Thanksgiving at Granny's house and Christmas at Grandmum's house," Hot shot said. "I won't be able to go see my family during those times because I have to stay in hospital for until after that," he said.

"I understand," Quickshadow said. "It is sad when you have to spend special occasions in the hospital," she said.

Penny came in and saw Hot shot. "Hello Hot shot," Penny said. "I thought I would see how you were doing so how are you doing?" she asked.

"My hair is beginning to fall out, but right now I am kind of sad, it's not about my hair," Hot shot said.

"Then why are you sad?" Penny asked.

"Because I won't be able to go to my granny's for Thanksgiving this year in San Antonio or go to Grandmum's for this years Christmas, I also take turns seeing either one of my grandparents seeing them at different times of the year each year. Last year I spent Spring holidays with Grandmum in London England, and Christmas with my Granny in San Antonio. This year I spend Thanksgiving with Granny and Christmas with Grandmum," Hot shot said. "Because I got cancer I have to spend the first few months of my treatment in the hospital and I won't be home until after Christmas, which means I won't be able to spend time with either of them during those holidays and I was really looking forward to it," he said. "I am sad because I won't be able to see either my granny and pawpaw who are my daddy's parents or my grandad and grandmum my mommy's parents," he said. "I love to see them, and I won't be able too, and I don't know if because of my cancer I won't be able to visit them or have fun with them until I get better or if I get better," he said.