Chapter 29

Two hours and three brownies later, I had left Julia's dorm and was back in mine, changing into my breeches and Sperry's. The campus was cool and quiet, people in small study groups scattered around the grassy central courtyard. I pulled out my phone, texting my varsity team members.

Hey, bareback ride decided by me, be here in 20 minutes. I'll be hacking around in the closest indoor. ;)

I walked into the stable, looking at the riding chart. Gatsby hadn't been ridden that day, so I took him out and spent a long time grooming him, managing to do a quick French braid before putting on my boots and grabbing my hackamore. My helmet was secured and Gatsby was wrapped with hunter polos before I mounted outside. Shortly after, Brandon ride in on his Arabian, looking like he woke up when I texted him. He ambled over to me, giving me a yawn/smile.

"Well somebody's been up and at 'em lately." I laughed as he gave me a disgruntled look. Soon after, Luke walked in on his Friesian stallion, also looking very tired. "Alrighty! Let's go!" I chirped, making the boys groan. We walked outside into a small square outdoor arena, filled with a course.

"So, why are we here? Like, I was taking a good nap man." Luke continued to grumble before I cut him off.

"Team building! I don't know if you've noticed, but we only have three lessons until our first show. And also I was really bored." I broke into a trot, speeding easily past Brandon and his horse. Startled, and suddenly filled with slightly more energy, he grinned and took off after me at a collected canter. Luke pushed ahead of both of us, giving us a sly smile as his stallion's huge strides easily outdid both of our shorter horses'. When we finally stopped racing around, I had slid back about an inch and had to move forward and center myself.

"So, how's everybody's classes going?" Brandon inquired, keeping up his promise to me.

"Pretty good actually, I've got a good study group and even though my facilitator is a bit crabby, she tells really good jokes and brought us cupcakes on the first day." Luke piped up, reining his horse in the smallest bit and keeping even with us.

"To be honest, I haven't even looked at my school work in at least a week. At the last class meeting thingy, I got most of the work done, but also, my next class meeting is in three days so I might have some work to do.." Trailing off, I noticed the boys staring at me. "What? It's not that bad."

"Okay, um if you say so." Brandon added with a smile. "My classes are pretty chill, easy, but lots of work. I'm just glad that they gave us an online learning experience." We popped over some cavaletti before warming up on the course. "I heard that new movie was coming out in our theater tomorrow, anyone care to join me? I guess we could call it another team building thing if you want." He looked between Luke and I, waiting for a response.

"Sure." We both answered at the same time.

"Has anybody else noticed how ridiculous the prices of the movie candy is?" I sort of managed to change the topic as we switched directions.

"Yes! Honestly, like everything else is free or included in tuition and then BOOM, five dollar medium popcorn." Luke added with a kind of angry laugh. We continued chatting until we noticed three presences walking towards us on horses.

"Hey boys! Hey dork!" Brianna's voice cut through the cold. I sighed.

"Hey." The boys said in unison, looking back at me before walking towards the opposing group. I followed, annoyed.

"What would you be doing out on this fine day?" One of the girls asked, presumably to either of the guys.

"Well, we were practicing for varsity team, since we have to and all." Luke answered, stopping. I snickered. Brianna looked past the people in front of me and stared me dead in the eye.

"Do you have a problem?" She sneered, sending her horse's ears back.

"Funny; I was just about to ask you the same! I mean, I would hate for you to get in trouble for riding without a helmet, wouldn't you? I think that counts as a problem." I replied, staring her down. Brandon and Luke looked at their heads as if noticing for the first time that all three girls weren't wearing any protective gear. They all turned around, stomping off back to wherever it was they came from. I sighed again, and walked up in front of the boys.

"Sorry to be the party pooper, but do you eat to go over the course one more time before calling it quits?"