Chapter 4 - The Wand

After parting ways with the red-headed clan, we continue our day of gathering my school supplies. 

"What else is still on the list?" I ask.

"Next, we are going to Ollivander's for your wand," she answers.

I skip along behind her up the cobblestone streets. We stop at a store with gray brick and black windows and a sign that says "Ollivander's" in gold cursive over the windows.

We enter through the creaky wooden door into a low-lit shop with row after row of black wooden shelves with skinny rectangular boxes thrown onto them, with no rhyme or reason. 

A screeching sound has me whipping my head to where an older man with messy white hair stands on a rolling ladder attached to one of the shelves.

"Hello, Minerva, and who do you have with you today?" the man asks.

"This is Miss Noir. We are here to get her first wand today," Minny says as she puts her hand on my back to push me forward.

"Hello, Miss Noir," he greets as he takes an orange box off the shelf.

He opens the box and holds a long, ugly black stick to me. It was unfinished and looked like you could gain a splinter from it. It looked nothing like the one I had been sneaking glances at in Minny's pocket throughout the day. This one did not have any details or embellishments like hers. This was just an ugly stick.

"Well, take it. You will need to give it a flick to know if it is the right fit for you," he explains.

"There is absolutely nothing you can do to make me touch that disgusting, revolting thing. That is not a wand. That is a bloody stick that will get me a splinter. There is not even a slight chance that stick is supposed to be my wand," I explain quickly, causing my French accent to come out.

"Miss Noir, we respect and speak highly magic here in the wizarding world," he argues.

"I'm not disrespecting magic. I'm disrespecting a stick that was picked off the side of the road. There isn't anything magical about a stick picked off the side of the road, now is there?" I question.

He shakes his head as he puts the stick back in its box. I look over and see Minny trying to hide her smile.

"What? It was a stick," I argue.

"I'm not disagreeing with you," she replies.

The man comes back with a black box and opens it in front of me. The black wood is carved in delicate, yet violent patterns holding a black pearl, a white pearl, and then a black pearl in the middle of the intertwining carved design.

"This is my wand," I announce confidently.

The old man lets out a sigh, "You don't choose your wand, Miss Noir, it chooses you."

I take the wand out of his hand and give it a flick in his direction, causing his untidy hair to not look like he just rolled out of bed.

He takes the wand out of my hand and goes to the counter with a sigh.

He starts to wrap the wand up as he speaks, "This wand core is dragon heartstring and the wood is acacia."

"