20

Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines torture as "to cause intense suffering." And that's exactly what I endured as I waited for Tae to return my texts and calls. Three days after our fight and still no response. I know I deserved something for talking to Kai...but being ghosted by my boyfriend? That was next level rudeness.

The last night of the semester, I was getting ready for the Christmas dance at Greendale College. Staring at the full length mirror of my closet door, I straightened my black one-shoulder ruched mini dress. I flipped my wavy black hair behind me, then changed my mind and decided my tresses would look better covering my exposed shoulder. My thoughts wandered to where Lisa was since we were supposed to go to the dance together with our friends.

Not a moment later, my roommate entered frantically. "I need your help," she requested. 

Breathing hard, she shoved her phone into my chest. Quickly I grabbed it and twisted my face in confusion at her. "Why? What happened?"

Lisa started pacing the area between the beds. "I was just in the communal kitchen and JK showed up. I ignored him but he said he wanted to talk to me. He just broke up with that girl!"

To emphasize the big news, she stopped to face me, her hands on her hips. My mouth formed an "o" then I glanced at her phone in my hand. "So why are you giving me your phone?"

"He will call me," she nodded with conviction. "And if left unattended, I will talk to him and I will regret it. Take it," eyeing her phone. "And don't ever give it back to me."

"This is major!" Then I scratched my head and peered at her. "But we're all moving out of the dorms tomorrow."

Lisa blinked at me a few times and gave a dismissive wave of her hand before pivoting towards the bathroom. "Right. Just keep it for tonight. I'm gonna get ready and then let's go to the dance. I need a distraction."

Standing by the door waiting, I hoped my roommate could find the strength to be strong and shake this man from her system.

~~~~~~~

Half an hour later my friends and I sauntered into the gymnasium of Greendale College like a group of fancy-dress-wearing divas. As soon as we stepped into the rays of light from the disco balls hanging from the ceilings, I marveled how easily the dance committee made this spacious area into a dance hall.

"These heels are killing me," Lisa shouted to me, trying to be heard over the deafening music. She had decided to wear a plum-colored mini dress and black strappy shoes, looking drop dead gorgeous to go with her confident, can't-be-bothered attitude.

"Sometimes you have to put fashion before comfort," I said as I walked next to her in my three inch heels. Picking this pair to wear, I hoped I exuded the same gutsy attitude to coincide with the questionable relationship I was in.

Tapping my toes to the music, a remix of retro Michael Jackson songs, I felt the bass line thump through my chest. Off in the corner, the sight of the buffet table caught my eye and I gravitated over there, motioning to Lisa to follow me.

"Cookies, brownie bites, madeleines. Look at all these desserts!" I shouted to her.

"You're a dessert," she joked as she wobbled alongside me.

We grabbed a few bites then found some empty space on the dance floor near our friends. Swinging my hips and whirling my arms, I was determined to have a good time on the last day of the fall semester and not worry about anything else. Lisa had the same idea, daring me to join her on top of the large speaker to the far side of the DJ. Together we twirled and gyrated without a care in the world.