Chapter XXX

During the last few days before Maxi was set to depart for Nornui, she dedicated all of her time to the children. It was rather easy, since they were all clinging to her more than usual, especially Estelle. After a little more of a one on one conversation with her, she seemed to better understand that her mother was leaving their home and she wouldn't be able to see her for a while. So Estelle practically held onto her mother's skirts everywhere she went, not giving her a moment's peace.

The boys were quite sullen, not bothering to hide their displeasure at all. Rosslyn's angry frown never went away despite all of Maxi's hugs and reassuring words. And Elysia, had become quiet and reserved. Maxi could feel the anxiety emanating from her, even though her daughter smiled brightly whenever she realized her parents eyes were upon her.

This was more difficult than she could have imagined. She was glad they had waited to tell the children with only a few days left, because she nearly changed her mind every time she looked at her beautiful children's faces, looking so despondent and worried. The remaining nights were just as difficult as their days. Maxi didn't have the heartlessness to even attempt to put the children in their own beds, and brought them straight to hers and Riftan's.

Each night the children fought and cried to sleep cuddled against her. She had to alternate them so they all got a chance to be held in her arms, while the others found a way to be close to her. Maxi ended up being nearly suffocated underneath them when they piled onto her, leaving Riftan without a single child to snuggle him.

On the last evening they all had together, Riftan held a banquet as a farewell dinner and proper send off for her, Ruth, and the two knights. The children were dressed in some of their finest clothes for the occasion, and even Riftan dressed more lavishly without being coerced to. Maxi wore a deep yellow dress that was almost golden, and an emerald and pearl jewelry set, some of the first jewels Riftan had ever bought her all those years ago.

The lively atmosphere and the knights' company helped to alleviate some of the children's sadness. Lachzion, Rovar, Hebaron, and even Lady Catherine, whenever she was present, were the ones to entertain the children the most with their stories and jokes.

The children were laughing and smiling for the first time in days, listening to their knight-uncles animated talk. It put Maxi a little more at ease that Riftan would have plenty of people to help him with the children. He was always good at cheering them up, but she thought it was likely they would cry to him for comfort rather than seek a cheerful uplift.

They let the children stay up a little later to enjoy the banquet. But eventually it was time for bed, despite their fervent protests. Maxi decided to put them to bed herself as usual to avoid an uproar among them. She left Riftan to stay with the knights and enjoy the banquet.

Maxi ushered the children up the stairs and got all of them into their nightgowns. She told them a few of their favorite bedtime stories and led them in their prayers per their usual routine. After giving them some warm tea to settle them, she was able to trick them into sleeping in their own beds when they became drowsy.

The girls were the first to fall asleep, and when the boys were completely out, Maxi left their room to return to Riftan. She was about to head back to the banquet hall, assuming he was still there, but she stopped when she noticed light spilling through at the bottom of the door to his study.

Maxi knew Riftan should be the only one to be in there, so she walked down the hall to the room. She listened at the door for a moment, it was mostly quiet, but she heard small sounds that indicated someone was in there. Maxi turned the knob to open the door and poked her head inside the warmly lit room. Sure enough, Riftan was seated at his desk cluttered with papers, a goblet, and a bottle of wine.