Chapter XV

The next couple of weeks were relatively quiet. Though there was a bit of inevitable distress for Maxi and grumbling from Riftan with the Princess's upcoming visit. Fortunately she would be staying for only a few days and would arrive with a much smaller retinue, so not as many rooms needed to be prepared. The servants were well aware of the preparations that needed to be done, so Maxi only had to give her instructions and it was done without requiring much supervision.

Her discussion with Ruth in regards to the Princess's visit suddenly weighed on her mind again. She tried not to give it too much thought, and when she did, she only focused on what her response might be to any possible suggestions from the Princess. Maxi also never mentioned to Riftan what Ruth said to her, she knew it would only infuriate him prematurely. Telling him would do no good when he was already displeased with having the Princess in Anatol again, and she did not wish to fan the flames.

On the bright side, Maxi had finally made a full recovery from the birth. There was still undeniable fatigue a lot of days, but the aches and pains, spotting, and nursing discomforts were relieved. She wanted to celebrate with Riftan and reconnect as husband and wife. They had been so caught up in enjoying their time with Elysia and watching the other be a loving parent, that they had not spent any time alone together, just the two of them.

Even though it was necessary for her recovery, it didn't help that their intimacy had halted. There were still plenty of hugs, kisses, and cuddles between the two. But the surging desire, relentless caressing, and surrender to passion for the other was much missed by now.

Maxi found herself more and more with conflicting emotions. Often times when Riftan was caring for Elysia and giving her fatherly affection, it made Maxi tear up and she just wanted to watch the two of them together. And then in an instant her emotions would shift and she would have the sudden impulse to tear his clothes off and have her way with him. And now she could act on those impulses. It was safe to say his fatherly ways had become both endearing and attractive to Maxi.

Maxi decided she wanted to celebrate by spending a romantic evening alone with him. She contemplated getting out of the castle altogether and perhaps staying the night at one of the nice inns at the village. Or perhaps traveling to the port and staying there for a few nights. However, both options would require they take Elysia since Maxi could not be separated from her for more than a few hours at a time before she needed to nurse. So instead, she decided to stay close to home this time and save her other ideas for later when Elysia was a little bigger and less dependent on her.

She ended up deciding to stay within the castle grounds and to keep it simple for the most part, there was enough going on with preparations for their impending guests. One thing was for certain though, she wanted to get out of their bed chambers for the beginning of the evening. They had dined there together with Elysia every night. She also wanted to keep it a surprise for Riftan and left most of the preparations up to Ludis and Rodrigo once her plans were made.

With only about a week until the Princess's visit, Maxi figured now was a good time to have their evening alone, it could also serve as placating for Riftan. It was late afternoon and Rodrigo informed Maxi that Riftan was patrolling the ramparts. The weather was perfect outside, it was nice and warm with the sun shining and a light breeze blowing.

Maxi took Elysia with her to enjoy the outdoor walk together. She seemed to like being outside as she excitedly kicked her legs and cooed. Maxi smiled at her lovable behavior and held her closer as she started up the stairs to the ramparts. Once they made it to the top they were met with a warm wind; Elysia wiggled in her mother's arms when the breeze first grazed her face.

Even though she couldn't understand, Maxi pointed out all the different structures and areas to Elysia as they walked the ramparts. And yet she seemed eagerly interested at everything her mother pointed to. After talking to a few sentries along their walk, they soon came upon Riftan near the ramparts above the stables. He was talking to a sentry when Maxi called out to him.