There Are Some People, Love, Who Are Better Unknown

~~~

Do you know, I could break beneath the weight
Of the goodness, love, I still carry for you?
That I'd walk so far just to take
The injury of finally knowing you

Unknown/Nth - Hozier

~~~

You should have expected this. After a decade of secrecy and a firm title as one of Hell's Overlords, of course staying at Lucifer and his daughter's hotel for a few weeks would destroy all of what you had achieved- destroy the person you are now and drag you back to what you were.

"You lied to me, Meridies,"

Breath catching in your throat, you couldn't move. The nickname he called you back in Heaven falling from his tongue with such torment it made your limbs numb. Disdain and indignance were clear, his voice a fragile whisper, though no less accusatory.

"After everything. After what I went through. After what you went through. You still lied,"

Wincing, a throbbing ache permeated your chest, taking hold of your pounding heart. Unable to bear the bite of his words, you closed your eyes and looked away, ashamed and scared. He shouldn't have known who you truly were because you weren't who he thought you were anymore. You didn't want to tell him and in turn give him false hope, but he had found out anyway and learned as much himself.

Standing up sharply, Lucifer's pained gaze narrowed at you, his jaw tightly clenched.

"Look at me!" he shouted, your eyes shooting open to meet his which were filled with tears both of sorrow and rage, "look at who I am! Did I lie to you about who I was?! Did I look you in the eyes and keep the truth from you?!"

Swallowing thickly, you couldn't look away, not now that your gaze had locked with his. Heat pooled in your cheeks as they reddened with shame, guilt lacing your features. There was no excuse you could make to get out of this, no quick on your feet lie that could save the shattered remnants of yours and Lucifer's relationship.

"...Lux, I'm so sor-"

"Don't call me that!"

From the small parts in his blonde hair scathing red horns appeared with his cry, a black tail whipping behind him, his three sets of ivory and crimson wings spreading out, no longer concealed as they bristled in outrage, the whites of his eyes turning to a ruby hue, pupils shifting to amber slits.

His emotions were getting the better of him, as were yours, your wings slicked back in fear, the feathers on your ears pinned down, tail between your legs like a scolded mutt.

"You don't get to call me that," his voice broke, "not anymore."

Coiled up on your bed, Ouroboros was hiding under your pillow, his sleek form shivering with fright. The poor ophidian didn't know what to do. Lucifer wouldn't listen to him or pay him any mind, not since the man had found out who you were and in turn discovered that Ourbi knew all along.

"Lucifer," you used his real name, lips trembling as you hesitantly stepped forward, away from the open door of your room, "I'm sorry, please just listen to me."

"If you are going to give me an excuse, I don't want to hear it. There is no way to justify your choices, not when you told some random sinners and not me!" he rebuked, a grimace falling over your features.

"They weren't meant to find out either..." your attempt at consolation fell flat, his brow scrunching in irritation.

"Oh, so no one was supposed to know," he hissed, claws digging into his palm, golden blood slowly beginning to trickle down his fingers, "and how long would you lie? How long would you keep everyone unaware of who you truly are?"