Just another day

"And what do you want?"

"I wanna join the Port Mafia!"

You looked down at the little boy tugging at your coat. His stupid big green eyes were filled with determination. Judging from his clothes he was a child without parents or home. His shirt was scruffy and ragged as well as his pants. His black hair was messy and his skin was stained with dirt and soot.

The boy and you stared at each other for a few moments, your face showing no emotion.

Then you burst out laughing.

This seemed to agitate the little boy who started frowning at you and tugged at your coat with more force.

"I'm not joking! I really wanna join the Port Mafia!"

"Oh yeah?", You raised an eyebrow in amusement, smirking. "And why is that?"

"I don't wanna live on the streets anymore! I wanna be a cool mafioso with a gun and shoot everyone who ever wronged me!"

You snorted, shaking your head.

"And what makes you think you could just join the biggest criminal organization of Yokohama this easily? What qualifies you to become a mafioso?"

The boy went quiet. "I... I... I'm tough! And I... I can..."

Your smirk faded away and you turned around, pulling your coat out of his small hand.

"Yeah that's what I thought. Listen here, kid. The mafia is not how you think it is. It's not just shooting people you don't like. It's a hard way until you can even be trusted with a gun. Especially a child like you."

Even though you didn't turn around again, you stopped for moment.

"But if you really want a job at the mafia, join some gang or something. We sometimes take them in. Grow up, learn how to use a gun and maybe, just maybe, you'll have more luck next time."

With that you disappeared into an alley, leaving the boy alone on the streets.

'Stupid kid', you thought, rolling your eyes while making your way towards the car waiting for you. It was a black car with shaded windows and stood out from the rest of the car. 'Even the Mafia is stupid these days.'

You entered the vehicle and sat down in the backseat. In the car, beside you, was already somebody sitting. Dressed in a pitch black coat, his cold grey eyes fixed on the on the road, sat Akutagawa Ryuunosuke, the rabid dog of the Port Mafia. You never liked him. And actually, you expected him to hate you to. However, for some strange reason, he seemed to be somewhat fond of you.

After Dazai's death, Akutagawa became your new mentor since he was also Dazai's mentee before the Executive died. But you two never really developed a mentor - apprentice relationship. The reasons why you never liked him? Well, he was annoying in your opinion... Okay honestly you didn't actually have a reason to dislike people most of the time. You just did. Maybe that caused you to become a misfit. But you would never admit that.

"What took you so long, stray?", Akutagawa spoke up, not even giving you a glance.

"Could you stop calling me that?", you snapped back, crossing your arms over your chest.

"Isn't that what you are though?"

There was no real venom in his voice. It sounded more like he was mocking you. But you could never tell by how monotonous his voice was. You scoffed.

"Shut up. And if you wanna know so badly, I was held back by some foolish boy, thinking he is skilled enough to join the Port Mafia."

Now it was Akutagawa's time to scoff. The conversation was interrupted by another person entering the car.