Special

The cold and icy wind brushed through you messy hair, making you huff in annoyance as you turned into another alley. It had been a week since you had ran out of the Port Mafia building. Since you "reunited" with Dazai. This fucking bastard. He wasn't dead. He just... left. Why? He said it hadn't had to do anything with you but what if he was lying? Would he do such a thing? Of course he would, it was Dazai.

But if he lied, what did you do? Were you a burden to him? Were you annoying? Or did he just not care? Was he lying the whole time? That he cared about you...?

Your head started to hurt from all these question and you began to feel dizzy. The world in front of you got blurry for a second and you had to stop walking. As well as you knew Yokohama from your time as a stray, you had no idea where you were at the moment. Everything looked the same and you were already confused enough from the events that happened a week ago.

In the hopes of finding any hints on where you could be right now, you started to search for street signs or anything similar. Judging from the smell in the air, you weren't far away from the slums. You had been there before but not for a long time. You had quickly found yourself out of these mud covered streets. There wasn't anything for you anyways. No friends, no shelter, no food. The streets in the center of the city were dangerous as well, no question. But at least at the light of day they were filled with normal people, living their every day life. Something you could only dream of.

And now you were here again. A stray. Even though it wasn't your initial plan to leave the Port Mafia, you had no desire or what so ever to return. Nothing held you there. Not Kouyou, not Hirotsu, to hell with Chuuya and Akutagawa and for sure not Mori. You better of alone. Without people who could lie to you. Who could hurt you.

The wind got only stronger and the hair, that was blown into your face, blocked your vision. Groaning, you searched for a spot where you would be protected from the wind and gather your thoughts. In another narrow alley, you sat down on the cold pavement, leaning your back against the hard brick wall. What now?

The slums weren't a good idea. Besides from the many other strays who were potentiel opponents, there were also a lot of criminals and even people related to the Port Mafia. But the area you lived in before joining the Mafia were too close to the headquarters. The Port? Hell, no. The catacombs underground? They were protected from any weather, but there was also a lot of drug dealing. And the air in there was suffocating. Some village outside of the city? Not anoymous enough. You would be caught for sure.

Maybe if you could join some group of other homeless children or teenager. Or some Rowdy gang? You could fight and protect yourself and having company didn't sound that bad. You would have a distraction. Something much needed right now.

But first, you had to find shelter for the night. It was already getting dark and you could feel the exhaustion spreading in your bones. Even though it had been a long time since you last had to seek for a night shelter, you still knew where to search. That made you think of something Paul once said to you.

Paul Verlaine. Sometimes Dazai had send you to him for training when he was busy. Or just lazy. Training with Verlaine was always fun but really tiring. And one time, as you somehow had a conversation about your past, he had said: "You can take the stray out the streets but not the streets out of the stray." He reffered to your behaviours as a former street kid. Sneaking through the halls, being as quiet as possible. The longer you stayed with the Port Mafia, the more those habits began to fade but they never disappeared completely.

"Once a stray, always a stray."

You had never cared about others calling you a "stray", nor did you mind. It was true after all. No one knew where you came from (except for Dazai maybe), you were just a nameless individual with no affiliation looking for food and shelter. At soms point, you actually started to call yourself that as well. Everybody else might treat you like your Heaven's gift to humanity but to yourself you were nothing more than another mutt, looking for scrabs of food with other mutts you didn't know.