Breakfast

The following morning, Shasta woke up in Adam's arms in the bed of their hotel room. Shasta heard the sound of birds outside of the window, and the husky perked his ears to listen. It wasn't often that they heard birds in his part of Alaska.

Soon, the rest of his family woke up, and they left to go get some breakfast at a nearby diner. As they were being waited on, the cashier asked, "Where are you guys from? You don't look from around here."

"We are from Alaska," Adam's mom said. "We're just here visiting."

"Welcome to Fernfield! I hope you like it here!"

Once the family got their food, they went outside and sat at one of the tables, eating their pancakes or waffles. As they ate, Adam gave some of his bacon to Shasta, who ate it gratefully.

"Guess what Adam," Adam's dad said. "There's a pool just a few miles from here. Do you wanna go?"

Adam's eyes sparkled a little. There weren't many pools in his town, where it was so cold for the majority of the year. It felt like it had been forever since he's even been in one. "Yeah! Let's go!" He then looked down at his dog. "Wait, it's pet friendly, right?"

"I'm sure it is," his mom said. "After all, it is outdoors."

Adam pat Shasta's back. "You hear that boy? You get to go to a pool for the first time!"

Shasta wagged his tail, excited but at the same time a little nervous, remembering his parents' fate.

As Adam snuck Shasta another piece of bacon, Shasta smelled something in the air that got his attention, and he looked around to see what it was. On the other side of the street, he saw a golden retriever with her owner walking down the sidewalk. The sweet scent along with the pink flower in her hair made Shasta realize that it was Rosebud, and Shasta wagged his tail. Not containing himself, he let out a bark to get her attention.

Rosebud heard it and turned her head, and noticed Shasta immediately. She stopped walking to look at him, her tail wagging as she considered barking back to him.

"Come on, Rosebud!" Alice said, pulling her glittery pink leash a little.

Rosebud licked her lips and walked away, though kept her gaze with Shasta until she couldn't see him anymore.