Chapter three: Echoes of intrigue

The first light of dawn had not yet broken when I find myself lingering outside the council's chamber, the heavy oak door muffling their voices but not their intent. I pressed my ear against the cool wood, the murmers of conspiracy threading through the grain. "They question my readiness, my right to rule." I whispered to the shadows, the taste of betrayal bitter on my tongue. They had not expected me to overhear, to catch the thread of their doubts. As I retreated from the door, the weight of their scrutiny was a cloak I wore with newfound defiance.

"They may plot and plan, but I am the princess." I vowed. "-let them watch and listen. For I will be the queen of this kingdom." I was not a fragile princess that they presumed me to be. No, with every whisper of doubt, I felt fire ignite within me, a silent promise to rise above their expectations.

Each step I took away from the councils clandestine gathering was silent. In the solitude of my chambers, I stared into the mirror, my reflection not showing a girl but a sovereign in the making.

'I've just overheard the council and I can't believe what they're planning. I need to be careful about my next steps. The first thing I should do is remember everything correctly. Maybe I should write it all down or find evidence to back up what I heard.' I thought to myself.

As I sit here alone in my thoughts, the weight of the secret feeling like a stone in my chest. I know rhe knowledge is power, but in this moment, it feels more like a burden. I need to act, but each move must be calculated.

I'll start by creating a secure record of everything I hear. Every whisper I hear in the walls of the council's chamber. Then I'll need to reach out to Raven. He's not just a friend; he's someone who's been through the thick of it all. Once Raven is on board, we'll plan of action. We should probably meet somewhere private, somewhere we will ensure both our safety is secure.

Was I getting to ahead of myself? No I didn't think so. Yes, all I did was overhear, but, if this threat was in any way a threat to my position to the crown, then I'll do anything to protect it.

Authors note: Sorry for the spam in chapters! How's everyone liking the story so far? Any feed back? Please be considerate, this is my first time actually putting my work out there! Anyways have a lovely day/night! ♡