Chapter 15

Four more months had passed since then, and there was only around a month left until my first birthday. Though without my mother or my uncle, what was the point? As a baby, I had so much more time to think, time that only made me think about their deaths even more.

I know that they did it for me, but I hated myself for making them come to that decision. It wasn't fair that they had to die for me, but I couldn't deny their sacrifice. I never had a loving family in my old life, so I guess that I was lucky to have one that cared so much about me in this one.

Fortunately, I still had Sola and Tully with me. Since that day, the young man came in and threatened Gerald to do his dirty work; I have been allowed to sleep with them in their room. They take care of me when I have nightmares of my mother's death and give me more attention than I need, but I don't hate it. Without them here with me, I don't know what I would do.

Though during these past few months, Sola and Tully have seemed a bit more distant from me than back at the village. It like there hiding something from me. They're always smiling at me so it's hard to tell, but day after day I can see it in their eyes. It's like a deep sadness that is taking away their spirits.

Sola's not even as energetic as she was before. I usually notice the biggest change in them whenever they head off to their lessons with the other kids. Once they get back, it's as if something has changed.

I keep thinking that this has something to do with that young man from before, but whenever I try to see what is going on in that room, a female caregiver picks me up and takes me away. I really wish that I could walk again. After eleven months, all I can do is stand up for a few seconds before falling down on my ass. It was humiliating to me.

Talking was a no-go as well. All I could say at this point were yes, no, and a few other words that I practiced saying before going to sleep each night. However, no one actually listened to me when I said either. They just thought that I was saying the words that I knew so far without reason.

Being a baby had it's difficulties, especially when it came to using the bathroom, but I try not to focus on that too often. What mattered was that today I was finally going to see what they were teaching these children.

Today was the day that caregivers would be busy. Once a month, some random fat man would appear and talk with Gerald, the director of the orphanage. Every time he came here, most of the staff were sent over to him. Whenever he came, the other children were forced to line up and meet him, and then, at the end of the day, one of the children would disappear.

If I didn't know any better, I would say that they were being adopted, but there was no doubt that he would come for four months straight if he wasn't doing something shady. For the first three months that we were here, we were instructed by the director not to go out and see him, but today, Sola and Tully were told to greet him with the rest.

They told me that it was dangerous to meet him and tried to lock me in the room, but neither of them noticed that one of my playing blocks that the director got for me was lodged between the door, preventing it from being shut all the way. Luckily, they were rushed out, or else that wouldn't have worked.

I managed to crawl out of the bedroom, and I made my way towards the classroom, making sure to avoid the audience room as I did. I didn't want to be spotted. After several minutes or so of crawling, I finally made my way to the classroom, the door of which was slightly open.

When I made my way into the classroom everything looked normal. There was just a bunch of wooden desks and chairs, and what looked like a black board.

THUD!

Well, I wasn't paying attention. I bumped my head right into one of the desk legs. While it didn't hurt that much, it still made me stop and rub my head. As I did, a small blue ball fell off the desk and landed on the floor before rolling towards me.