Chapter 11

"And here we are," the commander said, carrying me to what looked like a base camp. It looked like it had been there for a while, so it was only matter of time for them to attack our village. Though I still wondered what kind of relationship my uncle had with them.

"Illya!" Sola and Tully yelled the moment they saw me. "You give Illya back to us!" Sola demanded.

"Fine, fine, I won't take your friend away from you," he said, gently handing me over to them. "How would you three like something to eat while the grownups talk," the commander said to us.

"Private Sara, bring these girls some food in my tent," he said, ordering a young female soldier to get Sola and Tully some stew before bringing us to the biggest tent in the area.

"Girls, if you would please let me feed her," the private Sara said, bringing out a bottle of warm milk for me to drink.

"No! Illya stays with us!" Sola yelled at her, refusing to give me up again. It was nice to see that you cared so much about me.

"But if she stays with you, then how are the two of you going to eat?" Sara asked her. "If you two trusted the commander with her, then it would be fine if you let me see her as well. He's my great uncle."

"H-he is?" Tully asked her.

"Of course he is. Can't you see the resemblance?" she asked them, though both Tully and Sola shook their heads. Her bright red hair and younger features did nothing to show any resemblance between the two of them.

"Hmm, yeah, I guess you're right; I don't look that much like him, do I? Though it is true that he is my great-uncle. He wouldn't have entrusted anyone with you three. It's far too dangerous to leave you with the others."

"W-why is t-that?" Tully asked her. I was curious as well: why was it dangerous for us to be with the others?

"I shouldn't be telling such young girls this, but elven children are very rare, to an alarming degree, and for us to find three of you from different races together is nothing short of a miracle."

"Races?" Sola asked her.

"Yes, races. There are several known races of elves, the dark elves like your shy friend over there," she said, pointing at Tully. You are a light elf," she said to Sola and your little baby friend. There is a high elf," she said, pointing to me.

I don't know if this was something my mother planned or if it was just a coincidence, but I guess that the private was right. It was odd for three girls who looked like different races to be found together in a goblin village.

"Elves of all races are often hunted down and turned into slaves in most kingdoms. A family can easily live well off for the rest of their lives if they sell an elven child, and the younger they are, the more money they earn."

"Nnngh," Sola and Tully both took a few steps back when they heard that I couldn't blame them. I would have backed away myself if I could.

"Sorry, sorry," Sara said, bowing her head to us. "I know that telling you girls that was a tad bit unsettling, but you don't have to worry, we're not from any kingdom, we're from the Empire. We don't practice slavery, though there may be some soldiers that see you three as an opportunity to move up."

"..." The girls stayed silent, even more confused by what this lady was saying.

WHACK!

"What the hell are you doing telling children about such things?" the commander asked, slapping Sara on the back of the head as he walked into the tent. "Can't you see that they are scared now because of you?"