Chapter 11

Amidst the cozy ambiance of the butterfly estate, the four of you gather around a low table, enjoying a delicious spread of traditional Japanese dishes. 

Inosuke's favorite tempura sits prominently on the table, accompanied by various sushi rolls, miso soup, and freshly cooked rice. The warm glow of lanterns overhead bathes the room in a soft light as you engage in lively conversation, laughter filling the air as you share stories and jokes.

"So Y/N you're able to eat human food despite being a demon?" Inosuke asks bluntly. 

Tanjiro, appalled by Inosuke's rudeness immediately elbows the blue haired boy. "You can't ask that Inosuke!"

"Why not?"

"It's quite alright." You laugh, dismissing the poor boy's worries. "I've never tried eating a person and I don't intend to, I'm quite content with enjoying human foods. I don't think I've ever really had a problem with it, I thank my unique blood for that."

"So not even a little?" Tanjiro asks, allowing his own curiosity to show.

"I think it was a bit harder to control when I was younger but Lady Tamayo was very patient with me and taught me how to regulate myself."

Suddenly, the atmosphere shifts as the door slides open, revealing Muichiro's silhouette against the evening sky. His unexpected arrival startles Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke, but Muichiro pays them little attention, his gaze fixed solely on you.

"Why aren't you back at the estate?" he asks, his tone slightly accusatory as he approaches the table.

You offer a sheepish smile, "I thought you wouldn't be done with your mission until later. I didn't want to eat dinner alone."

Was he angry at you?

Despite your attempt to diffuse the situation, Muichiro's expression remains stern.

Seeing that you've nearly finished your meal, the mist Hashira insists that it's time to go home.

"You've had enough, if you're still hungry I'll cook you more food." Muichiro argues, his stance clear on the matter. "We should head back now, it's getting late."

You know you won't win this argument. With a reluctant sigh, you comply, allowing Muichiro to grip your wrist firmly as he leads you away from the table, leaving the trio behind.

As you walk away, you steal a quick glance back at Tanjiro, Zenitsu, and Inosuke, silently apologizing for the abrupt departure. Tanjiro gives you a wave back while Inosuke crosses his arms. 

Zenitsu holds back tears...

"I guess he was really worried about Y/N." Tanjiro offers, trying to ease the other two's sour mood. 

"That boy thinks he can just drag her around like that, who is he anyways." Inosuke huffs, unimpressed by Muichiro's robbery. 

"It makes sense after all, Y/N is Hashira Tokito's Tsuguko, perhaps she's also on a tight schedule like us." 

"I say he's just jealous that we got to spend time with her and not him!" Zenitsu cries, wailing in dismay as he glances at your empty spot. Inosuke is beside him, taking the tempera you left behind off your plate. 

As you walk home with Muichiro, frustration simmers beneath the surface. "Tokito, why did you have to drag me away so suddenly?" you ask, irritation evident in your voice. "I was having fun with Tanjiro and the others."

Muichiro offers no reply, his silence only adding to your annoyance. 

"You're excuse was nonsense," you continue, your tone growing more adamant. "The dark doesn't scare me, you know that. I think you're forgetting I'm a demon too? Hello?"

Still, he remains silent, prompting you to shift the conversation. "Tanjiro and the others are doing great on their training though," you say, your tone softening slightly as you recount their progress. "They've all improved so much, just today we were-"

Before you can delve further, Muichiro interrupts you. "You should focus on your own training," he interjects, his tone firm and unwavering.

Taken aback by his abruptness, you assure him, "I have been. I promise."

But he doesn't seem convinced. "You can still improve," he insists, his words landing heavily on your shoulders.

Perhaps you ready do need to pick up the pace, otherwise you would never measure up to Rengouku. Feeling a pang of discouragement, you offer a weak apology. "I'm sorry Tokito, I'll work harder I promise."

Perhaps sensing your dismay, Muichiro's tone softens, albeit slightly. "No need to push yourself. I'll oversee your training more closely from now on," he says, his words offering a form of reassurance.

Was this really Tokito? The same Mist Pillar that yells at random slayers for breathing too loud? The same Mist Pillar that glares at anyone that passes by. The same Mist Pillar that seem to be allergic to smiling?

You try to protest, "Please don't waste any of your precious time on me, I'm good enough to train on my own."

(leave me alone please!)

Muichiro cuts you off, again his grip on your hand tightening ever so slightly. "Stop arguing with me," he says, his voice tinged with exasperation. "Just accept it."

It's then that you notice his hand, still intertwined with yours. Despite the frustration and confusion swirling within you, you find a strange sense of comfort in his touch.

The following morning arrives with a gentle breeze, paired with the warm sun cascading down the walls of the estate. Muichiro's voice pulls you from your thoughts as he informs you of his trip to the swordsmith village to repair his damaged blade. The last mission had left unsightly chips in his sword, a glaring reminder of the battles fought and enemies conquered.

"Would you like to come with me?" he offers, something that catches you off guard.

Your surprise is evident as you respond, "Really?" It's rare for Muichiro to extend such invitations. He's always been a lone wolf, preferring the efficiency over companionship. You realize, with a hint of disbelief, that you've only accompanied him on a handful of occasions.

His response is matter-of-fact, yet there's a glimmer of something more beneath the surface. "Yes, you need to have your sword polished too, don't you? I remember you saying that" he remarks.

You nod, still trying to process the unexpected turn of events. "Yes, of course, I'd love to come," you reply, a sense of curiosity piquing within you. Muichiro remembering something about you is as rare as a shooting star streaking across the sky. Actually, Muichiro remembering anything is rare.

"Good. We'll leave today then," he confirms, his tone decisive. "Pack whatever you'll need, but we won't be staying for long."

Fun Facts:

- Zenitsu has somehow developed one sided beef with Muichiro after this interaction 

- Tanjiro thinks you must be super hard working with how strict Muichiro appears to be