Mirkwood: part 1

The next movie is here!

Chapter: Mirkwood part 1

Day 20-21

Bilbo peeks over some rocks on a high ledge and watches Azog and his Warg Scouts running along a ridge line not far away, occasionally stopping to smell the air in their pursuit of the Company. Not finding anything, they continue on their way. Suddenly, Bilbo hears a snarl from the side, and ducks behind the rocks. He peeks out and sees a large bear watching Azog from another pile of rocks, snarling softly. Bilbo sneaks away, while the bear roars.

Bilbo has made his way down the rocks to where the dwarves and Gandalf are waiting to hear Bilbo's spy report.

"How close is the pack?" Dwalin asked.

"To close. A couple of leagues, no more, but that is not the worst of it."

"Have the Wargs picked up our scent?"

"Not yet, but they will; we have another problem."

"Did they see you?" Gandalf asked looking at Bilbo's face, seeing his expression change." They saw you!"

"No, that's not it."

Gandalf smiles and turns to the dwarves. "What did I tell you? Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material."

The dwarves chuckle loudly in appreciation of Bilbo. Bilbo looks exasperated that no one is hearing him out.

"Will you listen- Will you just listen? I'm trying to tell you there is something else out there."

The company turned towards him, with a worried.look.

"What form did it take? Like a bear?" Gandalf asked.

"Ye..." Bilbo pauses and looks curiously at Gandalf. "Y- yes. But bigger, much bigger."

Bofur turned towards Gandalf. "You knew about this beast?" Gandalf turns and walks a few steps away. "I say we double back."

"And be run down by a pack of Orcs." Thorin budded in.

"There is a house, it's not far from here, where we might take refuge." Gandalf said, all heads turned to him.

"Whose house? Are they friend or foe?"

"Neither. He will help us, or he will kill us."

The dwarves looks at each other in dismay.

"What choice do we have?"

A roar of a bear splits the night behind them.

"None."

...

The company runs through plains and across streams.

Gandalf looked behind him. "Come on!"

As the Company runs through a forest, Azog and his Orcs are racing through the forest too. Azog urges his party on. Both groups stop suddenly when an ear-splitting roar sounds nearby.

"This way, quickly!"

As the dwarves panic and run, Bombur looks on in shock until he is pulled along by Bofur. "Bombur, come on!"

As they exit the forest, they spy a house surrounded by a hedge in the middle of a plain.

"To the house! Run!"

The Company runs across the plain, Bombur was so motivated by the bear that he began to outrun the others in his fear. Once by the house they run through a gate in the hedge.

"Come on, get inside!" Gandalf yells.

They run to the front door of the house; it is closed. Bombur, who reaches the door first, throws himself against it but falls flat on his back when the door doesn't budge. The rest of the dwarves catch up and begin throwing themselves against the door, trying to open it. Gandalf looks back as a massive bear breaks out from the edge of the forest and runs toward them. "Open the door!"