Chapter 0.3 : Noriko.

"Given that the one threatening her is currently part of the department... I'll leave it... and I'll take care of her personally. Let's just say it's a debt I owe to her mother."

These words only made Fukuzawa more confused...
"Why would you go to such lengths for this child? And why not simply ensure that the mastermind behind this assassination is arrested?"

Mishima simply smiled, once again.
"As for your first question, let's just say it's my own decision. All you need to know is that no matter what happens, this child will eventually be entrusted to me, so it's best to take action before someone else gets their hands on her... I don't know Kenzaburo's motivations for doing such a thing, but one thing is certain, he will spare no effort to find her one way or another. I think it would be better if she disappears from his radar for a while..."

Fukuzawa remained doubtful... why was Mishima so convinced that this girl would be entrusted to him? Did he have more connections with her than he let on?
That's when Ranpo spoke up.
"How do you plan to proceed?"
It was clear that Ranpo wasn't just questioning whether Mishima would be entrusted with the child's care, as if he had understood what could be the connection between these two individuals, initially completely unknown to each other. This made Mishima smile, seeing that Ranpo had understood and would keep his little secret safe.

"Well... The first step would be to quit this job... it has kept me tied up for too long. However, I can't just leave the city either. I thought about going to Suribachi. Many people wanting to escape administrative systems go there, including former criminals and the like. However, I'll still have to keep her here a little longer... she's injured and exhausted, going to a dangerous area like Suribachi in this state would only make things worse and exhaust her even more."
"Furthermore... I have a request to make of you."

Ranpo already had a small idea of what Mishima wanted to ask of them.
"You want me, as the detective who handled this case, to arrange for her to be declared dead, don't you?"

Mishima continued to smile simply.
"Indeed... What do you say, young detective? You seem to know as well as I do that this is the best solution."

Ranpo sighed before looking again at the child who seemed to be waking up on the couch.
"Alright."

After him, Fukuzawa spoke.
"I don't question Ranpo's conclusions at all... however... if you decide to stay here a little longer, let us at least ensure her protection during this time."

Mishima nodded.
"I don't think that's necessary, but I have no objection. If you insist, do as you see fit."
After that, he turned to look at the couch where the young girl was waking up. She sat up slowly and wanted to rub her eyes, but the cloth that covered them prevented her... It even seemed to bother her.
Mishima stood up from his desk and approached her, reaching out for the piece of fabric he had used to cover her eyes.
"Sorry, I should have removed it earlier when you fell asleep and calmed down. Let me do it for you... I also found clothes your size in the department's storage. You can change if you want."

Mishima gently removed the cloth that covered her eyes... however, when he saw them, he couldn't help but stare for a moment... her eyes... they were identical. The girl, meanwhile, looked at him with a vacant gaze.
Mishima simply smiled at her, trying to mask the reason why he had looked at her like that with another truth.
"You have beautiful eyes..."

The girl said nothing for a moment before responding to him in an exhausted voice and with a sigh.
"You'd better contemplate yours... They're the same color... and at least... they don't kill like mine do."
She then looked around and noticed the two other people who were in the office... A young man a little older than her, around 16, and another man, older, who seemed calm and composed.
"Where am I..."
"Earlier... that was real, right?"
Despite knowing that all of this had actually happened, she simply couldn't bring herself to accept it, which only increased the guilt she felt... She felt like a monster... unable to truly feel sad about her own mother's death... and unable to feel any regret for what happened to her father.