Chapter 4 : "A project's shadows".

(Hello to those reading this :). It's been a while since I last posted chapters (I was in exams), and I'm happy to finally be able to publish despite this long month of waiting. My posts should be more regular now, since I'm on vacation, so the next chapter should come out soon (don't worry, the whole story is already planned, I just need to type it hehe. On that note, happy reading :D))

As Toru silently pondered the information that must have been conveyed to Yuki regarding this matter and how to address it, Dazai continued his conversation with Ryu. Haru couldn't help but think that if a mafia captain hadn't been accompanying him and Toru, Ryu would certainly have tried to eliminate them... it wouldn't have been difficult for him to fabricate a false betrayal to justify his actions.

Dazai: "Finally... if the idiot who went after the former city commissioner has been eliminated... I guess we have nothing more to look for here."
Dazai's words clearly implied that he suspected something much deeper than what Ryu wanted to portray as a lapse by a mafia member who had given in to provocation. He displayed a slight smile, emphasizing the falsehood of his words and the conversation itself.

Ryu, fully understanding Toru and Dazai's skepticism about the situation, played along, maintaining the formal facade of what for now had to remain a simple conversation between two port mafia captains.
"Exactly. It's the job of the hunting faction, after all."
He affirmed, crossing his arms and raising his chin slightly before looking at Toru with an amused smile... He had just realized who she reminded him of.
"Tell me, girl..."

Toru looked up at him, her gaze neutral as she waited for Ryu's question, surprised that he had even bothered to address her.

Ryu: "Have you ever heard of Project Noriko?"

Dazai: "Hm?"
He tilted his head slightly, his expression curious as he turned to look at her.

Toru: "..."
Toru hadn't expected him to refer to that false name she used a few years earlier. She had never heard of such a thing. What intrigued her even more was the way Ryu scrutinized her and the information he seemed to possess, which wasn't the kind of information just anyone in the mafia could have...
"No... never."

Ryu simply smiled while Dazai fixed his gaze on Toru, his expression unreadable, perfectly neutral.
Ryu: "I must be mistaken then..."

Ryu responded before turning and putting his hands in his pants pockets, his coat swaying slightly with the movement.
"Well, I'll leave you youngsters. You'd better go play outside; the place is about to be cleaned up."
He said confidently, looking at them one last time. His gaze lingered on Toru for a long second before he smirked, amused, then left the premises.

Toru, Dazai, and Haru just watched him leave before Toru spoke up.
"I have to go... I have something to do."
With these words, she didn't wait any longer before turning her back on them and walking away.

Dazai raised an eyebrow before smiling.
"I'm not stopping you. Just one thing..."

"What?"
She asked, stopping her walk but not turning around to face them.

"This Project Noriko... you have no idea what it could be? No clue?"

Toru turned to look at him, her gaze cold.
"No. Why?"

Dazai simply smiled before shrugging as his arms remained crossed.
"Nothing... just in case it might be related to all this."

Toru looked at him for a moment before sighing and turning away again.
"Not that I know of, for now. By the way... what are you going to do now?"

Dazai simply smiled, a far too cheerful expression to be genuine appearing on his face.
"Well... since this matter probably involves one of the five captains, I think it would be best if you handled the rest. You know... to avoid any internal conflict."