Chapter 4, part 3 : "From one stone..."

"You want me to... what?"

Haru stared at Dazai for a moment, breathless from the request he had just made. He remained silent for a long time before recalling the day Dazai had asked him to tamper with Kenzaburo's flash grenade, which Toru had already altered by replacing the explosives with harmless powder. Haru, who had sworn never to betray Toru and to repay her for all he owed her, realized at that moment that his excessive loyalty was a tool she could easily use for projects as grim as the one she had undertaken against Kenzaburo. He looked down, lost in thought. He felt confused. Dazai had once prevented him from being complicit in Toru's planned death... Dazai had saved her... but... what about this time? Denouncing Toru for treason did not seem to be in his best interest... However, Dazai was the only one who had so far managed to understand Toru's plans.

Haru clenched his fist, frustrated. He barely knew Dazai and had no reason to fully trust him... but if anyone could predict and counter Toru's plans, it was him. He sighed before looking at Dazai again, the frustration visible on his face as he spoke.
"I will do it only if you assure me it's in her best interest!"
He affirmed with conviction, his tone firm.

Dazai looked at him coldly before retorting.
"Are you trying to act in the interest of a traitor?"
"Know that I can personally ensure that Toru is registered as such. All I wanted was to determine your true devotion to the mafia, and it seems I have my answer."
Dazai replied in a low voice before stepping forward and kneeing Haru in the stomach.

Haru: "Argh-"
The blow was strong enough that the pain made Haru lose his ability to stand, causing him to slide to the ground, his body leaning forward against Dazai's to avoid falling, his gaze vacant.

Once Haru fell to his knees, he clutched his side, wrapping his arm around his stomach where the pain was still intense. Dazai, whose expression remained cold and gaze merciless, drew his revolver and pointed it at Haru.
"Until I hand you over to the hunting section, you are my prisoner, understood? If you were hired, it was only to serve as 'leverage' if Toru turned against us, keep that in mind."
Dazai said coldly, his expression impassive.

_______________________________________________________

Two days later, in one of the port mafia's warehouses, 3:00 AM.

Toru was sitting on a crate, stacked high on several others, placing her near one of the skylights of the hangar, which let in some light from the half-moon, the night sky dotted with a few stars visible through the city's light pollution. Her vacant gaze was lost in admiration of the small piece of sky she could see, as she patiently awaited someone's arrival, her cheek resting on her fist, her legs crossed and dangling in the air. She still looked as tired as ever, dark circles under her eyes, thinking about the situation and the various possibilities, which only intensified her mental fatigue.

It had been a day since a detailed article about a possible alliance between six high-ranking officials and the mafia had been published, as well as the assassination of Kawabata, causing a media scandal. Toru had made sure to mention her involvement in the article's sources under the pseudonym "Noriko," recognizable only to the key players, ensuring that any tensions between the mafia and the security forces would be directed specifically against her. She knew her participation in such a publication would make her easily accused of treason.