Chapter 6 part 2 : Afterglow

"A cat?"

She silently wondered at the sight of the animal... Why was it staying out in the rain?  Judging by its tricolored fur, she concluded it was most likely a female. But then, why was she standing there in the rain? Wasn't she afraid of water?

Toru watched her for a moment, her expression neutral as her hair was already soaked by the rain, small droplets falling from the tips of her locks. She crouched in front of the small creature that had come up to her.

"I guess you came here because it's a bit warmer... Or maybe Shu was feeding you, that would be just like him."
She said while gently scratching the cat's neck.

She sighed and looked at the burning building, memories of the times she'd shared with its employees flooding her mind, especially Yuki... That woman had her quirks and obsessions, sure... But behind her morally questionable methods, she only sought justice, in her own way. Even though Toru tended to avoid her to escape the endless interrogations... she had often surprised herself by enjoying those moments when she could simply have tea in her company. She wasn't exactly what one would call a substitute mother, but she was part of the small world Toru had clung to after losing everything, four years ago. Mishima, the office where she worked with her, Haru... Why did everything life had given her have to be threatened or taken away?

It had been a while since Toru had felt this unpleasant sensation... That total denial of what was happening before her eyes, almost like a survival instinct that would allow her to keep moving forward. But towards what? Why did she keep going, without even having a goal, despite the constant fear of losing everything she had?

The crackling of the fire echoed in the air as the rain kept falling under the rumble of thunder... Yet everything seemed so quiet to her, so calm... almost unreal. Maybe what was missing were the threats and screams of one of Yuki's "targets," as she liked to call them, desperate at the thought of sensitive information about them being exposed publicly...Toru couldn't help but let out a small breath at the thought, a tad nostalgic. Then, her gaze returned to the cat in front of her. Despite its soaked fur, the cat remained calm, looking at her with its big brown eyes. It seemed strange, but there was almost a look of understanding in its gaze.

Then a loud noise rang out... A part of the building collapsed, bringing her back to reality. The destruction was total, final. This place, where she had created so many memories, was now nothing more than a pile of rubble and flames, which in their gentle warmth, were dying out.She stood up, pressing her hand against her thigh, and spoke to the cat, still standing there.
"You'd better go... There's nothing left here..."
"Besides, the area will be cordoned off soon... I'll get into trouble if I stay here."

Gathering what little willpower she had left, she started walking away... Yet after a few steps, the cat came back in front of her, meowing to get her attention. This was rather strange... Usually, a cat showing this kind of behavior wanted to be followed... But that was something they did with their owner or a trusted person, usually when they wanted to be fed. Yet Toru was sure she had never seen this cat before.

"Do you want me to follow you?"
She almost whispered, weakly. She stopped to observe it as it kept staring at her with its big brown, wet eyes, almost gleaming in the twilight's darkness. Another meow echoed, more insistent this time, almost like an invitation.

"You really want me to follow you, huh?"
She murmured again, almost to herself. She cast one last glance at the burning building behind her, then let out a trembling sigh. After all, there was nothing left for her here. What did she have to lose by following this strange creature?The cat took a slight detour, regularly glancing back to make sure Toru was following. She walked slowly, her thoughts still clouded by memories and the emptiness that replaced them, the sound of her footsteps splashing in puddles barely registering in her mind.