Dead to Me

"I'll be back later, Matteo," I said, kissing his forehead and giving him a big hug. He cooed at me and gave me a happy smile. When I didn't take him into my arms, his frown began to form as the quiver started in his lips.

"Thank you, Nicole," I said and gave her a hug.

"See ya later," Nicole said, rocking the screaming baby in her arms.

I hobbled off to my car so I wouldn't be late. I hated seeing that boy cry. It was so early to leave him alone. The early morning shift was exhausting after being up all night, but it was doable. The drive over wasn't too far, and I parked in the back. I entered through the employee entranced before heading straight down the hall to the 2nd door on the right. In the employee change room, i got dressed in my attired I held in my locker. The knock at the door slightly startled me, but I let out a quick yeah to hear what was up.

"Janet, come see me when you're dressed," my boss said through the door that only cracked a bit to allow her voice through.

"Yeah, will do," I responded. I swiftly grabbed my set of keys and ID cards. I opened the door and then used my cane to help keep it open before making my way to the bosses office.

"You called for me," I mentioned as I reached the door frame. I looked out and noticed the front desk was empty. Last shift scurried off quickly, which is mever a good sign. Last night must have been hectic. I leaned on the door frame, half my body in the office. I rested my cane against her desk.

"Yeah, we have one room that's been given a final warning, room 307. We also have a huge party during check-in time. I need you to review the complaints for overcharging during downtime and to assign the maids to the room," Cat said. Just as she was seemingly finishing up, I heard the elevator door ding, and a guest was coming down already. It was early in the morning, and it was not anywhere close to checkout time.

"Good morning!" I called out in a rapsy voice, I startled myself at the crackle of my voice. I softly cleared my voice so I could be heard better to assist the incoming patron.

"Good morning," a man's deep voice said. I looked over to my boss, but she was busy typing on the computer and mumbling a bit to herself. I focused my attention on the guest. I picked back up my cane and faced the lobby to see who was around this early.

My eyes landed on his, and we made instant eye contact. His deep brown eyes and dark demeanor greeted mine in utter shock and disbelief.

"Jada," I heard him say firmly as I stood frozen.  Suddenly, all I could hear was Mmmy heart pounding.

All I could think was Alessio. He didn't second guess it. He knew it was me even with my changes in appearance.

I held my cane, gripping it tightly as I felt myself start to falter. He was here. Somehow, he was here and found me. The bastard was here. The monster himself stared, never letting his eyes move from me. He had gone pale as he stared me down. He looked the same as he always did, yet there was something different, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I turned my gaze to my boss in her office.

"I... I, uh, need to take my break," I said. She looked at me for a moment, then back to her computer.

Her pause had me concerned. She let out a sigh of annoyance at my request. I couldn't deal with him while I worked, I needed him out of here. Now.

"Now, please," I added as some desperation began to show in my voice. My eyes widened, hoping she got the message.

She looked me over before nodding. I gripped my cane tighter and steadied myself before entering the lobby. My  right leg was no longer my only weak leg. I had hoped I had more time, but I didn't. I truly never wanted to have this moment happen. I never wanted to see him again. All he had to do was give up and move on. Simple. The man always had options.