Odio Profondo

I had stopped at a gas station, which allowed Jada to breastfeed. I didn't even know she would want to do that. I couldn't help but peek at her doing such a great job of taking care of my son.

Matteo.

She named him Matteo. It was perfect. It fit him for what could be nothing short of a miracle. He had her cheeks and nose. I knew he would have her smile if he ever showed me. I peeked as she snacked on water and looked between the window and our son. She was beautiful, as I remember. She looked more tired than usual. I looked at my phone, knowing trouble was brewing.

My mind remembered I had a second card on hand from my job as a line cook, I never used it but had to set up a bank account since I had cash on hand.. It was able to buy more gas and the snacks she needed. When I tried to log in, I was immediately told incorrect information. I went on to try and recover it, but the account wasn't linked to my email. I was out of money. I couldn't take us anywhere.

I pulled out my emergency phone and dialed the person I knew would be down here, Grandpa Bucceri. The big man in charge even at his old age, the man still worked down here and commanded respect. It's a number he would know my dad kept going for emergencies. I would have talked to him, but I had no idea what was going on, and I didn't want to ring any alarm bells. I could trust Grandpa to be immediate and helpful with a place to hide out. When I got my hands on Lorenzo, I would kill him and whoever else was involved.

"Hello, is this one my long-lost grandson," I heard him. I let out a low sigh that he couldn't hear

"Hi Grandpa, it's Alessio," I said.

"I haven't heard from you in so long. What took you so long," He snapped.

"No time for pleasantries. I need the address for the Villa closest to Trapani," I said, cutting to the chase.

"Trouble?" he asked.

"Yes, I need to get out of Scilla immediately. I am bringing company I want to introduce you to as well," I said

"I will text you the address. Should take around 1 to 2 hours from Trapani. Do you need me to send someone?"

"No, just the address and the fastest plane off this island," I told him.

"I'll have someone to greet you when you arrive," He said and hung up. 

Not even a moment later, he sent the address. I typed it in before writing down the direction using a napkin and a pen in the glove. I already had a decent idea of where I was going, so there weren't too many instructions.

"Let me know when you are done," I said, turning around.

"How long is the drive?" Jada asked.

"About an hour and 10 minutes left on the journey."

She nodded and looked down at Matteo and petted his head as he squeezed against her breast. I averted my eyes  and waited for her to give me the okay. I felt more shell-shocked as it sank it. We had made such a handsome boy. He was perfect and I missed so much already. The pregnancy, the birth, and the first few months. I knew nothing about the boy, but his name was. I wanted to know his birthday or the things he likes. I don't even know how to take care of a baby. I couldn't strap him the car safely. I was proud of Jada for all the work she did, and at the same time, I was angry and upset at all the secrets. I was angry and disappointed everything I missed out. I am a reasonable man. I'm not overly cruel. Keeping Matteo away from me for all this time felt like such a stab in the back. There was so much time to be made up.

"All done," She said. I looked back to see her strapping him in. 

He was not happy for her to put him down and began crying. She strapped him, and he began to scream.