#7- Djohrn of Zenon

"Let's see what kind of stray dog, Eiran brought ."

Pinned against the wall I stare at Vidarr hiding a venomous smile that threatens to curl up my lips.

"A mad one," I respond.

Two days earlier...

Riding the horse gifted by Gray, I try to keep an emotionless face. But the aching pain traveling in my body makes it progressively more and more difficult.

Almost two weeks that we are traveling toward Noreen, almost two weeks that every night I have to use all my might to not fall once we jump off our horses.

There was not a single night that we spent in an inn. We camped outside in small tents. The prince and I got our one ones. I was relieved to not sleep with unknown men.

The blinding sun emits an intense heat that  rises off the burning sand. It is difficult to imagine that tonight the temperature will be so low that I'll have to curl myself into different layers off clothes to not shiver of cold.

"Are you okay Raven?"

The little high pitched voice of Kallias breaks me away from my thoughts. He is sitting in front of a knight—Djohrn if I remember correctly—and looks at me with his wide shining eyes.

"I am perfectly fine your Highness, I thank you for your concern," I respond bowing my head.

My knowledge in courtesy came back as naturally as if I learnt it yesterday. A talent that surprised the entire escort. Even if I stay on my own and participate quietly to the chores, they seem uneasy and sometimes scandalized by my presence.

To be honest, it is far from being surprising, Lord Eiran brought me with him and introduced my briefly adding that I am his new student, nothing more.

This last fact may be the reason why they only stopped at dirty looks and indiscreet whispers. Lord Eiran doesn't scold them for that and not does he tries to include me in conversations or in the cohesion of the team.

"I gave you your chance, to become a knight, you will have to prove to me and to others that you are worthy," he said to me the first day of the trip.

I guess that also includes the part where I will be able to integrate without help their community. But I don't want to do an effort with seniors I will barely cross paths with once I will reach Noreen.

"You are lying," points out innocently the Prince, "You miss your family."

I chuckle with an joy and reminiscence the last hours I spent with them. The reactions of Frederick and Oseye weren't as calm as Marianna's.

After an hour of bargaining, and persuasions, they finally gave their blessing with reluctance.

"You must send letters to us at least one every week."

We spent the rest of the day walking around the village at my demand. I wanted to conserve the most loyal image of my childhood village. I won't be able to come back for at least two years.

My heart aches at the thought of leaving them for this long. In eighteen years I accustomed myself with their free love without realizing it. I even going to miss Gray and Evereyn.

"Don't worry," continues the Prince, "I miss mine too."

I smile at him, "You are going to see them very soon."

He turns around and speaks to Djohrn, "Can I stay with Eiran for the rest of the trip? There are only a couple of hours left before we arrive at the capital. The risk of an attack are almost none."