Pinky Promise 3

The two of you were sitting around Jake's house eating takeout Chinese food. Some old movie was playing on the TV. For some reason Jake preferred the classics but you found them to be incredibly boring. It was often you found yourself in this same position, sprawled out on his couch, sitting in a comfortable silence as you watched another movie you couldn't retell the plot of.

Which is why in that moment you chose to say, "I got into medical school."

It was nearly comical watching him choke on the spoonful of rice. He sat up and looked over to you, still coughing up those last pieces. "I'm sorry. What did you just say?" The look he gave you was disbelief mixed with something else. Something you hadn't seen before.

"I don't think I stuttered." You took a bite of an egg roll and waited for his mind to catch up.

"Medical school? For doctors?" You couldn't help but smirk at his choice of questions. "Yes, like for doctors. I thought pilots were supposed to be smart?"

He shook his head and laughed, "When the hell did you have time for that?"

You finished off the egg roll and shrugged your shoulders, "What do you think I do all day while you're at work?"

This path you took was one you had been on for a while Everyone saw you as the girl who parties, the one who doesn't care about the outcome of her decisions. But it couldn't be farther from the truth. And instead of showing people how wrong they were about you, you let them form their very low opinions. Pleasing people was never one of your strong points and a few judgmental comments weren't going to tear you down.

Jake was clearly still processing things but paused the movie to give you his full attention. What he said next though, nearly made you cry right then and there.

"I am so proud of you, sweetheart. Holy crap you are going to be a doctor." He got up and pulled you into a tight hug. It was then the look on his face made more sense. It was a look of pride, and one you hadn't gotten before.

"Tell me all about it. Where are you going? When do you start?" His enthusiasm for this made you feel something that part of you was afraid to feel. This man was slowly becoming your best friend, which is why you pushed down all other feelings. No need to ruin a good thing.

"Well, I decided I wanted to stay close to home and was lucky enough to get into the University of California San Diego. My GPA was a little short of what they wanted, but I killed the interview. Something about your dad dying while fighting for his country tends to pull on heartstrings."

Jake shook his head, "You did not pull that card."

You waved a hand at him, "Please. I would be dumb not to. I also threw in about staying close to the base in case anything happened to Bradley. And that I might follow in the family footsteps one day."

Jake's head tilted at the last part. "You are not enlisting. I draw the line at that."

You rolled your eyes at him, "Down tiger. All I meant was that I would want to work at a hospital close to base. The one all of you get sent to when something goes wrong."

Relief was evident as he exhaled. "I don't think the military could handle you anyway."

It was true. You were never one to follow orders well. Plus having a third Bradshaw in the Navy would be too much for anyone.

You picked the remote back up and resumed the movie. While Jake thought this was a big deal, you were ready to get back to the movie night. You still had a few months until school started anyway.

The movie had been playing for a few minutes, but you could feel eyes on you every now and then. "Is something the matter?"

You glanced over to the man next to you and watched him shake his head. "Nothing. You just keep surprising me, that's all."