[11] I'll wait

• ───────────────── •

"𝗕𝗲𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗙𝗮𝗻-"

The shock took over her, making her limbs feel heavy as if they were pinned to the floor. Genda put his hands up again, about to release the mutliating attack.

This was no time to stand still.

"NO!"

Her body moved on its own. In that dire moment, Kuuho kicked the ball at a closer range, changing its direction just before it could reach Genda's hands.

"Usugumo scores a point in the last second! It's the first point for Raimon!"

She falls to the ground after that, knocking over the boy in the process. The adrealine rush wore off and she was breathless. It was so close.

Genda eyes her as she gets up and walks back.

But that ment their tactic didn't work. They only scored because Kuuho acted fast. She doesn't know if she can do that again.

The match is at a stalemate. Everyone was on edge and still trying to keep control of the ball. It dawned on her that they were running out of time and the match is about to end.

Maybe she should have let Fubuki do it.

Fudou slides in and steals the ball. Domon and Ichinose swiftly take charge and cover Sakuma, who is not pleased.

"Good kids should stay at home!"

Fudou aims at Ichinose's stomach, knocking him back with no remorse. The ball bounces and rolls on the grass.

It goes back to Sakuma. He stands infront of it.

 His unbalanced stance, his demented eyes and wide grin brought a sense of foreboding.

"STOP!" Kidou shouted, but to no avail.

"𝗘𝗺𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗼𝗿 𝗣𝗲𝗻𝗴𝘂𝗶𝗻 𝗡.𝟭!"

The sound of the attack overshadowed Sakuma's anguished screams.

Kidou interrupts the shoot in a brave act, hoping to decrease the damage once Endou blocks it. Everyone watched in suspense.

"He stopped it! Endou protected the goal!"

Endou remains unharmed.

Sakuma's body writhes. He takes in deep breaths but it's never enough. Every step feel like a sharp bleed plunged inside of him. Fragile as glass; he feels every part of himself crumble away. 

"Why don't you get it?!" Kidou can't take watching him break apart anymore.

"You wouldn't get it, Kidou. I was always envious..."

Envy. She recalled his way of speaking back at the hospital, and it sent a pang of realization. Is this what he ment?

"You were always moving ahead with you strength. I couldn't keep up no matter how much I tried. It felt like your beyond my reach."

Sakuma continues on as if he doesn't hear him, lost in his own ravings.

Kuuho could kind of understand him. Or she once did. She always felt distant from Kidou, even if she respected him. 

But after what happened, that feeling dissipated. The barrier between them has broke, and the distance between them closed. They trusted eachother. 

"With this... I can finally catch up to you. No, I could even surprass you." 

Fudou passes the ball to Sakuma again, despite their efforts in preventing it.

"Do it again, Sakuma!"