chapter three

🖤

🖤

We make it to the outside of Joe's as Lulu hangs up the phone with her sister.

"Sorry about that." she shakes her head and puts her phone into her pocket. "Thank you." she says as I open the door for her.

"No need to be sorry. Is everything okay?" I ask as I follow her inside.

There's maybe seven or eight other people in here, not crowded in the slightest, but more than I thought there would be at this time of night. I guess it is Saturday.

"Yeah, everything's fine, she was just checking in." she says, as we walk up to the pizza display case. I do a once over of the options and see exactly what I'm gonna order.

"Hi, what can I get for you?" the man behind the counter asks us.

"Uh, I'll have a meat lovers slice, thank you." I look over at her, "Do you know what you want?"

"Yeah, could I just have a slice of pepperoni please?"

The man nods and puts each slice into the oven behind him. He then walks over to the register and I follow, grabbing my wallet from my pocket. Lulu rushes over to me, fishing through her own wallet.

"I got it." I smirk at her, pulling my card out to tap. She stops fishing and looks at me.

"You sure? It's really no big deal, I can—"

"I want to." I stop her before she can argue more. She smiles in resignation.

"Thank you." she says sweetly. She's so polite. She's thanked me so many times tonight, even for small things.

"Did you want any drink?" the guy behind the counter points at the drink cooler. We both turn to look at it and I spot bottles of water at the bottom. We should probably hydrate.

"We should get some water, maybe?" I turn back to look at her.

"Yeah."

"Yeah, two bottles of water as well." I hover my card over the card reader.

"Okay, ten dollar."

"I'll grab them." she walks over to the fridge, and I watch the man pull out our slices and place them on paper plates. He hands them to me over the display.

"Thanks man."

"You wanna sit right here?" Lulu points to a table with four seats, since all of the pair tables are taken.

"Yeah." I walk over to her and place the slices down in front of her. I go over to the napkin dispenser, grab a handful, place them between us on the table, and sit down like she has.

"Thank you." she says cheerfully. "I love pizza. I love cheese." she specifies, picking up her slice. I smile at how adorable she is when she's drunk. And probably still high too. This pizza is about to taste out of this world.