chapter seven - part two

"Okay, I'm just gonna warn you now

"Okay, I'm just gonna warn you now. You guys are not gonna like how this starts, okay? You're not gonna like it. But I promise it's not gonna end how you think. At all." I start off. They both narrow their eyes at me skeptically.

"Okay..." Rosa turns her head slightly.

I take a deep breath.

Here we go.

"So, Jonas messaged me yesterday—"

Immediately, Sarah drops her head and loudly groans in exasperation while Rosa says, "You unblocked him?!"

"No!" I say quickly, "No, I did not unblock his number, I swear. He messaged me on Instagram. I never blocked him on Instagram, I just unfollowed him."

"Rookie mistake, Lemons—"

"How did we not think to block him on socials too?" Sarah shakes her head at Rosa.

"We were probably too drunk." she sighs.

The night I (we) blocked his number, we were having a much needed loopy wine night, after I had finally decided I've had enough with him. It took way too long for me to get there, though. I let him get away with so much bullshit, it's embarrassing. And I was so angry about that when I got home that night. They sat with me on the couch for a full hour and validated everything I was feeling. Halfway through my rant, Sarah got up and popped open a bottle of our go-to white wine. By the time I was done, the bottle was empty, and they were talking me into blocking him.

I wanted to, but I couldn't do it. I couldn't press the button. I felt bad. It felt like I was bailing on a friend. He constantly told me I was the only person in the world that took the time to understand him instead of judging him. He was the bad boy I thought I could turn good. I was wrong. He was never gonna change for me. That initiative has to come from within himself.

Sarah and Rosa helped me realize that, that night. Sarah also told me he knows how much I care, and how big my heart is, and said "if you give him an opportunity to speak to you ever again, he's gonna use that against you. Don't give him any chances. Block him."