Chapter 16

Super quick before this chapter, I just wanted to thank you for reading, it's been 2 months and we are already past 400 reads and have been #2 in heathers. (Which is wild to me) I am not super sure how the view system on wattpad works and what is considered a lot but this definitely feels like it.

Thanks again

-Brin

February 16th 2005:

Stability has always been a foreign concept to me, I never had the mother who would put notes in my lunch box, or a father to begin with. The house with the white picket fence has never been something I could dream of. Instead I settled for cockroach infested apartments and second hand clothing.

Mom and I used to drive around the rich neighborhoods back in Columbus, it started when I couldn't sleep as a little kid. She'd talk about how stuck up they were with their manicured bushes shaped like dogs or giraffes, I'd nod my head along but those late night trips planted the seed in my brain for what I wanted, normalcy, to not live paycheck to paycheck to go to expensive places, drink expensive drinks and eat expensive food. To be with the bourgeoisieses would be like flying with eagles.

Recently that normalcy has been closer than ever before, I've been seeing my father every week, Mom has been in a good mood, frankly I have no idea why they are getting along so well, did he give her head or something? Anyway my boyfriend has been sweet but I've been avoiding him and eating lunch in the library.

"Di, your dad is here to pick you up. Are you ready?" my mother calls out from the living room.

"Yeah, almost," I reply, trying to ignore the strange knot forming in my stomach.

I quickly stuff the last few items in my overnight backpack, my mind swirling with conflicting emotions. On one hand, I'm relieved to see my parents getting along for once. But on the other hand, their sudden camaraderie feels unsettling, like the calm before the storm.

As I enter the living room, the atmosphere shifts, and I can sense the tension simmering beneath the surface. My mother's smile seems strained, and my father's eyes dart nervously around the room.

"Ready to go, kiddo?" my father asks, his tone cheerful but forced.

"Yeah," I mutter, avoiding eye contact with either of them.

But before I can make it to the door, my mother's voice cuts through the awkward silence.

"Wait, Di, we need to talk," she says, her expression serious.

I freeze, my heart sinking as I brace myself for what's to come. I can feel the weight of her words hanging in the air, thick with unspoken resentment and frustration.

"What is it, Mom?" I ask, trying to keep my voice steady despite the rising panic in my chest.

Her words come out in a rush, a tidal wave of pent-up emotion crashing over me.

"I don't understand why you're always avoiding me, Di. Ever since your father started coming around more, you've been distant, cold even. It's like you don't want anything to do with me anymore," she says, her voice trembling with hurt.

I feel a surge of anger rising within me, fueled by years of resentment and unspoken grievances.

"You want to know why, Mom? Because you've never been there for me. You've spent more time chasing after your own pipe dreams instead of actually being a mother to me. And now, when things finally seem to be falling into place, you expect me to just forget about all the years of neglect and abandonment? Well, I'm sorry, but it doesn't work like that," I spit out, the words bitter on my tongue.