Chapter 2

Words - 1269

                    -------------------

'N-No this can't be' I thought and turned around before sprinting out of the university

'N-No this can't be' I thought and turned around before sprinting out of the university. I could hear Adam calling me from behind saying something but I couldn't hear anything, my brain was a mess. I closed my eyes as a tear left my eyes when I felt a pull on my hand as I stumbled backwards and my face collided with a hard chest.

"What the heck!" I shouted as I looked up to see the person and saw Adam.

"Are you crazy Iris! You could've gotten hit by a car!" He yelled at me while shaking my shoulders.

"B-But Liz" I shuttered over my words as I felt a lump forming in my throat making it hard for me to speak.

"Liz is alright! It was just a minor injury, she had a little concussion. You ran without even letting me complete my sentence. What has gotten into you?" He asked as I signed in to relieve.

My mind was still stuck on that night. I thought that happened with Liz too that's why I panicked so much.

"C-Can you take me to her?" My voice came out as a whisper but still audible.

Adam didn't say anything and just stared at me for some time before slowly nodding his  head.

                            ~🥀~

"Liz!" I called her name as I walked inside the ward and saw her sitting on bed looking outside the window.

She looked at me after hearing my voice. She looked a little shocked seeing me and Adam here.

"Iris? Why are you here?" She asked.

She looked fine except the bandage on her head. I walked closer to her and hugged her tightly.

"How did you get hurt? You know I was so worried" I said, still hugging her as she chuckled.

"Nothing serious, I was playing with my sister when I tripped over a rock and fell. It wasn't a serious fall though I just got a little wound on my head and sprained my leg" she replied

I broke the hug as my eyes travelled to her legs just to see them in cast as I looked back at her and raised my one eye brow

"Sprained your leg huh?" I said, as I looked at her dead in the eyes while she chuckled nervously.

"I-I maybe broke my leg" she said and laughed nervously.

"What do you mean maybe didn't the doctor check you properly Eliza?" Adam asked as he came near to have a clear look at her leg.

"Come on guys! It's not that serious, I just broke my leg" she said, kinda irritated as we both looked at her with done faces.

"You know for this Iris almost ran into a car" Adam said out of nowhere making me shocked. I didn't expect him to say this.

I took a few steps backwards and shook my head trying not to remember that scene. I turned around and ran to the washroom which was in the ward and locked the door. Taking deep breaths I tried to not cry but it went into waste.

"How long are you gonna cry, silly. They are dead you should move on" I said as I wiped my tears.

I turned around to unlock the door but my hand stopped in mid air as I overheard them talking.

"What is wrong with Iris?" That sounded like Adams voice

"A few weeks ago, her parents got into a car accident and unfortunately they were not able to survive. The police showed Iris the cctv footage of the place and it left a deep scar on her heart. Aunt Ruby took her here so she can move on from their death but things don't get erased fast" Liz explained

My hand started shaking a little. I pushed all those feelings aside and unlocked the door as I walked out of the washroom before picking up my back and walking out of the ward.

"I am going back to university" I said before I walked out of the ward.

I could hear Adam calling me and asking me to wait but I ignored it and walked faster to leave from there as he followed me.

                            ~🥀~

I was currently sitting in class as the professor was teaching. I have been ignoring Adam after that incident. We have different classes so basically I am not ignoring him, I am just.......busy.

I boringly roamed my eyes throughout the entire class as it landed on one person. Annie Williams. She is basically the quiet kid, doesn't talk much, doesn't have many friends or should I say doesn't have friends at all because of the rumours of her being a part of the Russian Mafia gang. Kinda stupid but it's nice too as everyone is scared of her and none dares to bully her. She always sits alone on the last bench near the window. She must be lonely I should make her my friend.

I smiled happily at this thought as I turned my head back on the board before the professor saw me not focusing on the class.

"I will ask her to be my friend in break" I mumbled before picking up the pen as I started writing the notes.

                            ~🥀~

I walked around the cafeteria with a tray filled with food trying to find Annie. After 5 minutes of roaming I found her again sitting in the corner all by herself. I jogged towards her before stopping near her table.

"Can I sit here?" I asked after catching my breath and waited for her to reply but she shook her head indicating No. But I sat there anyway.

"So.....How are you?" I asked trying to start a conversation with her but got silence in return. 'What a great life!' I mocked myself before putting on a smile and looked towards her.

"I asked you something, Annie" I said as she finally looked up and gave me a death glare.

"Are you blind?" She asked which surprised me a little, this was my first time hearing her voice plus she asked me this question.

"N-No, why?" I replied

"Because you sat beside me even when I said not too" she said and resumed eating her food while I sat there in shock.

"I just wanted to be your friend" I said

she stopped eating for some time after hearing me say that but then again continued eating. I quietly got up and walked to another table to eat. 'Maybe I have to find another way to be friends with her' I thought as I started eating.

                           ~🥀~

I kicked the little rock as it flew forward, a sign left my mouth and looked straight before fixing my backpack on my shoulder. I just want to go home and take a nap. I turned into alley which is a shortcut to go to my home as I walked lazily when I heard something falling behind me. It startled me a little as I looked over my shoulder to see what it was but saw nothing, I was the only one there. I walked few more steps ahead when I heard another pair of footsteps walking behind me.

This time I took out my phone from my jacket's pocket and turned on the camera in selfie mode and moved it a little towards my left. There was a masked man walking behind, his face was fully covered with a cap and mask. I gluped before pulling my hand back and started dialing a number on it when---

                - TO BE CONTINUED -

Edited on : 2 September 2024