12. you wish you never ever met her at all

❦︎

❦︎

It was all a trick. Thèrèse needed more time to think. "We can negotiate." The princess said.

"Totally!" Leo agreed. "Name your price." "Leo!" Piper snapped.

The princess chuckled. "Name my prices? Perhaps not the best haggling strategy, my boy, but atleast you know a thing's value. Freedom is very valuable indeed. You would ask me to release satyr, who attacked my storm spirits-"

"Who attacked us," Piper interjected.

Her Highness shrugged. "As I said, my patron asks me for small favors from time to time. Sending the storm spirits to abduct you, that was one. I assure you it was nothing personal. And no harm done, as you came here, in the end, of your own free will! At any rate, you want the satyr freed, and you want my storm spirits who are valuable servants, by the way, so you can hand them over to that tyrant Aelous. Doesn't seem quite fair, does it? The price will be high."

It was then that Thèrèse suddenly knew what she had to do.

"You're Medea." Thèrèse revealed. "You helped the original Jason steal the Golden Fleece. You're one of the most evil villains in Greek Mythology. Listen to me, don't trust her."

Her words seemed to have some kind of effect. Jason stepped away from the sorceress. Leo scratched his head and looked around like he was coming out of a dream. "What are we doing, again?"

Thèrèse had mixed feelings about both Leo and Jason when they finally returned to their senses. Part of her wanted to give Leo a big hug while the other part wanted to give him a nice hard smack across the face.

The way Thèrèse had been struggling to come up with anyway to get Leo and Jason out of the charmspell and to see this sudden turn of events happening was beyond what the girl could have hoped for.

"Boys!" The princess spread her hands in a welcoming gesture. Her diamond jewelry glittered and her painted fingers curled like blood-tipped claws. "It's true, I'm Medea. But I'm misunderstood. Oh, Thèrèse, my dear, you don't know what it was like for women in the old days. We had no power, no leverage. Often we couldn't even choose our own husbands. But I was different. I choose my own destiny by becoming a sorceress. Is that so wrong? I made a pact with Jason: my help to win the fleece, in exchange for his love. A fair deal. He became a famous hero! Without me, he would've died on the shores of Colchis."

Thèrèse had pulled Leo back towards her with all of her strength after the princess had revealed her true identity before continuing to reveal even more information.

Jason - their Jason Grace scowled. "Then, you really did die three thousand years ago? You came back from the Underworld?"

"Death no longer holds me, young hero," Medea said. "Thanks to my patron, I am flesh and blood again."