First Day and the Howler

The next morning, following last night's incident with the Whomping Willow, all the students and staff awoke for the start of the new school year. By the time Harry Potter and friends parted ways with their fellow Gryffindors, the CMC made way to attend their first lesson of their first year while the Assistant Professors departed for their own lessons. As dawn shined upon Hogwarts Castle, the Whomping Willow sulked in the courtyard, with slings strung about its injured branches. Over the castle walls lay the exterior of Greenhouse Three, where the students hurried inside for the beginning of class.

This was the class where the CMC would tackle their first Herbology assignment, a class taught by Professor Pomona Sprout. All the second year students consisted of a mix of Gryffindors and Slytherins also in attendance. The Gold Trio, including the Young Six, made their way inside waiting for both their Professor and assistant professor to arrive. Along the way, they decided to chat about their friends to pass the time. But of course, the biggest subject was recent events that had apparently spread across the school.

"Detention. On the first day?" Neville began.

"That must be some kind of record," Seamus joked.

"We're just lucky that's all we got," Sweetie Belle sighed.

"You'd think these guys would mind their own business," Scootaloo pouted.

"Settle down, girls," Apple Bloom advised. "Let's just try to get through today."

Suddenly, in the nick of time, Professor Sprout, a squat little witch, arrived to set the new school year off at a bright, fresh start. But she was not alone, as the assistant professor this class revealed herself... Apple Bloom's own sister herself, Applejack.

"Morning everyone!" Sprout called out, tapping the pots with her wand. "Good morning, everyone!"

"Good morning, Professor Sprout!" The students greeted in unison.

"Morning', y'all!" Applejack greeted.

"Morning, Professor Applejack!"

"Welcome to Greenhouse Three, Second Years," Professor Sprout began. "Now gather round, everyone."

The witch proceeded to beckon the students around a gathering of pots.

"Today, we're going to re-pot Mandrakes. Now, who here can tell us the properties of the Mandrake root?"

"Yes, Hermoine Granger?" Applejack acknowledged.

"Mandrake, or Mandragora, is used to return those who have been transfigured or petrified to their original state," Hermoine explained. "It's also quite dangerous. The Mandrake's cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent!" Sprout nodded. "Ten points to Gryffindor."

All the Gryffindors smiled for Hermoine, the girl giving them a stellar start. Meanwhile, all the Slytherins eyed them with envy.

"Now, as our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet," Sprout explained. "However, they will knock you out for several hours—"

"Hold on, Professor Sprout," Applejack interrupted, catching Ocellus. "Yes, Ocellus. Do you have a question?"

"How dangerous is a young Mandrake's cry?" Ocellus asked nervously.

"Excellent question!" Applejack smiled with approval. "Like what Hermoine said, their cries won't kill you... yet. Which is why we've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. And now, we're about to find out just how loud is a young Mandrake's cry. I think it's time, Partner.

"I agree, Applejack," Sprout nodded. "Students, could you all please put them on right away? Quickly. Flaps tight and watch us closely."

While everyone gets their earmuffs on, Scootaloo turns to the side and her snickering causes her friends to look where she's pointing. Frowning, Ron had gotten a bright pink fluffy pair. The girls couldn't help but deem it funny, if only to take their minds off their upcoming detention. Seeing the class ready, Professor Sprout and Applejack led the class further down the garden area.