Chapter 31: The First Job

After leaving the private island, the trio would return to the road where a nice looking black sports car was parked.

"This is your car?" Asked Mei as Raven nodded.

"Of course. Whose else could it be?"

"Since when did you get a license?" Asked Alex.

"Kid come on I'm a mercenary. I can drive any vehicle if need be."

"I figured you'd get a car that would've stood out more." Said Mei.

"Well, I did want a red car but I couldn't find a good model in red. Anyways, come on. Get in already."

"You said that the seaside is a bit far from here? If that's the case then I'll be taking a nap in the backseat. Wake me up when we're close by." Said Alex as he opened the door and got in the back, closing it and immediately laying down.

Mei would enter on the passenger side, buckling up her seat belt along with Raven as the merc started the car, it's engine roaring to life like a beast as the vehicle began making its way to their destination.

It didn't take long for Alex to fall asleep as a few minutes in, the boy was out like a light.

Shortly after that, the two girls upfront began to have a conversation.

"Back on what you said last night, you mentioned that humans were helping the puppets?" Asked Mei.

"Yeah. It was a delivery guy. He put a puppet in a box and put the box in the ally by the warehouse at night. That puppet wound up getting out and entered the warehouse through pipes. It thoroughly trashed the place before returning to the box." Said Raven.

"That must explain why no one saw it in the neighborhood. Naturally no one would think that a box that was hundreds of yards from the scene had a role in it. That still leaves a question though. Why exactly would the delivery man do this?"

"Who knows? Maybe he was coerced, manipulated, or is just crazy in the head. We'll have to ask him in person tonight." Said Raven.

Mei harkened back to what Alex had told her about the puppets and how they'd target a person's insecurities to get them to do their bidding.

"So, how'd you figure out their next target?"

"I have connections. Remember the warehouse we've looked into?"

"Yes. We've gone through three so far."

"Correct. All sabotaged by the puppets and guess what? They each belong to a notorious organization. This city is ran by four organizations."

"Wouldn't the city be better off without these warehouse? Why would the puppets do something that benefits the common folk? Unless...........each organization blames the other."

"Bingo. Right on the dot. The conflict's in full swing. Only a matter of time before collateral damage reaches civilians."

"I see. With all that info, that must surely mean that the puppet will pay the last warehouse a visit tonight, right?" Asked Mei.

"Correct. It wants an all-out war that'll tear this city down. It isn't for a personal agenda either. Those things just wanna watch the world burn. That won't happen though. We will end this little adventure of theirs tonight."

The car would exit the forest as it went onto an open road by the cliffside which overlooked the ocean.

Mei looked out the window, enjoying the nice view.

While staring back, her mind wandered over to Alex and the conversation they had back at the island.

Even though he probably wouldn't appreciate it, Mei had to inform Raven.