Chapter 32: Injustice

Hearing those words sent a cold chill down Mei's spine.

Obviously it was no secret that when it came to researching the Honkai and its possibilities, there were definitely those that were willing to push the envelope regardless of whether it was humane or not, but this was just unfathomable.

To think a father, so far driven by his inability to replicate a past success would stoop so low as to willingly use his own daughter to achieve that.

"I guess ever since that day, he's always seen himself as unfit. Uncapable to do anything entrusted to him. It took a lot of convincing and money on my end to prevent any interview and questioning on Alex after that night. All that would've broken him even more. That's probably what the puppets targeted. I didn't think that day would still haunt him till now with how mellowed out he's become. I should be better as his guardian." Said Raven.

Their conversation would stop there as Raven slow the car down and park off to the side at a beach as they had arrived at the seaside.

"If you wanna know all the details, then ask him. He's the only one that knows everything." Said Raven.

"Aren't you interested in knowing too?" Asked Mei.

"I am, but I don't wanna pry too much into it. He's been super respectful about not wanting to pry into my personal life, so I try my best not to pry into his." Said Raven though Mei simply held her hand.

"Come on. I'm sure he'd appreciate if his mentor heard him out." She said with a smile as Raven sighed.

She'd reach to the back and shook Alex a bit as the boy slowly woke up.

"Hm? We here?" He said, yawning a bit as he sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"We're closeby. Me and Mei are gonna walk on the beach to get in one last moment of rest. We have some time before nightfall. Wanna join in?" Asked Raven.

"Sure I guess. Might as well."

The three would exit the sports car and walk onto the beach as the setting sun reflected beautifully on the clear ocean water as it had a nice glow to it.

As they walked onto the beach, Raven and Mei would take off their shoes and stand in the water for a bit while Alex opted to stay back where the waves didn't reach him as he sat down.

The boy simply watched the two have a small chat as he just stared out into the ocean waves, enjoying the peaceful scenery of it all and the blissful sound of the ocean.

As he kept looking out past the horizon, he'd see the two girls approach him however he saw Raven pull her head down, fully revealing her face which she rarely did unless it was something serious.

This was also Mei's first time seeing her face so she was also surprised needless to say.

Alex stood up as Raven stood before him.

"Your hood's down. What's up?" Asked Alex as Raven chuckled a bit since he knew her habits very well.

She'd step aside and Mei stopped foward, a little uneasy which Alex noticed.

"You good?" He said.

The girl hesitated for a bit before finally finding the courage to ask.

"Alex. Remember how you told me about what the Herrscher did to you?" She asked.

"Yes? Why ask?"

"...........does it, have anything to do with your first ever mission?"

Upon Mei asking that, Alex went deathly silent as his face was one full of shock.