Part 11: Gender Reveal

The baby is looking more babylike than ever, as facial features including the nose take shape. The sucking reflex is coming along, and it's possible that thumb-sucking will begin this week or sometime soon. Rapid brain growth continues, particularly in the nerve centers dedicated to the senses. Your little one is in the process of developing a definite sleep-wake cycle and is also becoming responsive to sounds in the environment, even being awakened. The baby's skin is thickening and layers of skin are forming as well.

At 20 weeks pregnant, you are feeling movements when the baby sleeps or is awake, and even hiccoughs! However, since the baby is getting bigger-about the size of a large banana or bell pepper, you may also experience constipation, congestion, lower back pain, and swollen feet. Hormonal changes bring congestion, and forgetfulness. Increased rest, hydration, and stretching can help with coping with these.

You are nervous and excited. Today you are going to the doctor's office for the ultrasound. Today, you find out if you are having a Jack or a Jill, so to speak.

"Angel, I'm sure the baby doesn't care what you wear."

You smile at the humor in his voice as you stare at your maternity wardrobe. "It's a special day, Auggie. It's special." You hear him come up behind you and you smile as his lips lightly trace the outline of your shoulder, your neck, and then tickles your ear with a whisper.

"Honestly, I don't think the doctor cares either."

"But you care," you smile as he runs his hands over your womb. You opt for a royal blue top and dark pants.

"Boy colors?" he chuckles. "You realize that doesn't change anything?"

You start dressing. "And I can't help but notice you are wearing a neutral gray shirt with a rose on it."

"Gift from an English ally

"Gift from an English ally."

You pat the rose lightly. "Right, but today's the day to wear it."

He rolls his eyes and you giggle. You head to the car, and it begins: the brainstorm on names. It is a game you've been playing with him for the last week or so, but now that the day is going to literally cut the choices in half, you want to get yours in.

"Stop it!"

"What? I think it's cute."

"You are not going to call our child Sky, Auggie!"

"Why not, I think it's cool—"

"Sky Walker?!"

"They'll never forget her," he smiles broadly. "Speaking of absolutely ridiculous, let's rule out any form of Alex. Google ruined that for me."

You roll your eyes. You'd always liked the name. "So, does that mean that Xavier is under consideration? Lysander, too?"

"Xavier, yes, Lysander...?" he grimaces. "That sounds like a name one would have to live down—"