Part 19: Ladybug Ritual (August POV)

At 28 weeks pregnant, your baby is typically 10 inches (25

At 28 weeks pregnant, your baby is typically 10 inches (25.4 centimeters) from the top of their head to the bottom of their buttocks and is an overall 14 inches (36.1 centimeters) from the top of their head to their heel (crown-heel length) weighing at about This week, the baby's weight is about 42 ounces or 2 ½ pounds (1,189 grams), basically the size of a diaper.

There is so much going on. With all the goings on, the umbilical cord, which was fully formed in week 12, has increased in size to facilitate the final trimester. She has entered a stage of rapid brain growth, with tissues developing those ridges and furrows we all know, as well as increased rapid eye movement (REM) sleep which promotes brain development. When her eyes are open, she can see light! As each week passes, a baby's chance of survival outside the womb go up and the risks of life-long health issued go down. In fact, a 28 week old preemie has a 94% chance of survival.

As you move from the second trimester to the third trimester, you may see an increase in new symptoms and the return of past symptoms from previous weeks. , nasal congestion, and may stick around while aches and pains tend to get a little worse.

Your growing uterus, stretching muscles, and the pregnancy hormones that loosen your joints to prepare for childbirth all can contribute to back pain.7 Research shows that low back pain occurs in about 50% of pregnancies. In the weeks leading up to now, you may have already been dealing with pregnancy-related back pain, but for many, it tends to get worse as your pregnancy progresses. Back pain and sciatica (a severe pain that radiates from the back into the hip and the outer side of the leg caused by compression of the sciatic nerve) Rest, stretches, and even what you wear or use can help with this, from shoe wear to belly belts, acupuncture to massage or therapy, and more.

The same healthy habits you've been keeping up to now should still be at the top of your list, but you may find that you need to make some tweaks to your routine to deal with new aches and pains. You'll also want to start setting aside some time each day to relax and bond with baby while you monitor their movements.

 You'll also want to start setting aside some time each day to relax and bond with baby while you monitor their movements

"Augie!"

"Coming!" I now know that tone, and my heart leaps as I change out of my work clothes into something comfortable. It's a new ritual, and honestly, I kind of like it. I rush to Angel and she is smiling ear to ear. Al is sitting in a corner, looking on. It's only an hour after dinner, and our little one has already started her evening kicks.

"I told you she likes this song," she laughs as I get in bed with her. "She's been reacting this way since that baby yoga class in Sedona." She gasps softly. "That's two already."

"She likes Single Ladies."

"She kicks too much for me on that one," she grumbles. "Maybe that's a post-partum jam."

I hold her from behind and lay my hands on her womb, whispering in her ear. "She likes that Baby Shark one, too." I almost can't hold in my laugh, knowing what her reaction will be.

"Ugh, bite your tongue!" she frowns, wrinkling her nose, but is still smiling. "Remember what some of the moms said at the office? Drives everyone crazy but the baby?"

"Well, it's just us," I shrug. "It can't be worse than waterboarding."

She shakes her head, laughing and taps my hand. "And...this is her time, remember?"

I chuckle softly and lay in front of Angel, laying my hands on her womb. "Hey, Ladybug." I smile as my daughter kicks in response.

"We are not putting that on the birth certificate," Angel jokes softly. "We need to narrow it down, pick her real name."

"I know we've got it down to a few," I sigh, stroking her belly. "but she's always going to be my Little Ladybug."

"Hmph."

"You're my angel," I remind.

"And you are my man," Angel sings softly.

We lay there in bed, talking and singing her favorite song to date, "Sail Away" and others. We have been compiling a list of songs she reacts to, and besides that the only other requirement is that the song doesn't drive us nuts if it is on repeat. The hope is that a playlist will keep things from getting maddeningly monotonous but still entertain Ladybug.

"You made the next appointment, right?"

"Two weeks from today, yes," I confirm. "So the baby belt is doing the trick?"

"Yes, it is," Angel smiles greatfully. "So much easier to move around."

"I wanted to talk about when you're taking off—"

"Augie—"

"It's just that I would like you to rest before the baby is born, not work till the last minute," I plead. "You know, just exercise, invite friends to lunch, shop a bit? I'll even take some days off to spend with you, alright?"

"But the United States doesn't have paternity leave," she says sadly.

"I'm still taking it," I tell her. "I have a monstrous amount of time saved up. I was kind of a workaholic until we met."

"So...workaholic to dad-aholic?" Angel smiles, stretching over to put her arms around my neck. "So sexy!" Her smile suddenly fades. "Ooh."

"Ooh, what?"

"I think she's tired now," she smiles down at her womb. "Ten kicks in an hour. Just like yesterday—"

"And the day before that, and the day before that—"

"Augie."

I know what she wants, and I don't get it. "Seriously?"

"Yes, seriously."

I put my arms around her and lower my head. "You ready, Ladybug?"

I sang this song our last night in Sedona, looking at the red rocks and dark blue sky with silver stars. Ladybug was kicking up at storm, and I sang that, which worked, and now she and Angel love it. By the time I sing the whole song, Angel is relaxed and teary-eyed, and it looks like Ladybug is asleep as well.

"I'll never get tired of hearing your voice," Angel whispers.

"Good thing, it's the only one I've got."

"You're all we need," Angel whispers tearfully, grinning up at me.

"You're all I need," I whisper back, kissing her hair. I decide that I will get a music box for her, one with Fireflies on it. It will take a couple of weeks, but we've got time.

(Just saying, I would LOVE to hear Henry Cavill sing Fireflies.)