Part 2: Co-Parenting? (Reader POV)

Your heart stops. "August?"

"Hi, Angel."

You feel like you could jump out of your skin and jump back in it to hide. He's been gone for months! Months! Not even the smallest contact. To your shock and dismay, your throat tightens, and tears form in your eyes. "You don't get to call me that."

"Sweetheart—"

"Don't you 'sweetheart' me!"

"Uh, is this the father?" the nurse asks timidly.

"Yes!" you and he both reply, and his smile widens.

"I've been detained on duty for few months, and—"

"Oh, my goodness, thank you for your service!" the nurse says, covering her heart.

"Thank you," he nods. "but I haven't been able to make contact until now. I'm here now."

You are fighting tears. You don't know what to say right now. You have spent way too many nights in the shirts he left behind. He has haunted your dreams, your daydreams...and now confronted with him, you know what you should say, but you can't.

"Uh, the doctor is waiting?" the nurse reminds hesitantly.

He offers his hand. "Darling?"

You look down at it and back up into his eyes, and you realize your mistake as you drown in them.

"Angel, please?"

You take his hand, but you let your look say it all: this is not over.

He frowns at you, but then smiles reassuringly at the nurse. "I was gone longer than I thought I would be."

She leads you to an examination room. "The doctor will be in shortly."

As soon as the door closes, he frowns. "What is wrong with you?"

"Wrong with me?!" you snatch your hand away, realizing you'd held it too long. "Wrong with me? You left me, August!"

"I told you I had unfinished business, and it's over now," he explains calmly. "I believe we are both out of danger, now—"

"Believe now?" you repeat. "What the—" You brush off that concern and say, "You left."

"I told you I would never forget you," he says, his eyes darkening. "you didn't think I would come back to you?"

The question hung in the air. "I don't know." You admit.

His jaw tightens and you exhale, you feel tears come to your eyes again. "I'm here now." He takes your hand again. "I'm here now."

"What does that mean?"

"I came back to you," he gives a small smile. "And I have been watching you."

"What?!"

"Satellites."

"Satellites?"

"I couldn't use a phone, but satellites are different."

"Wha—"

"You went to the museum last week."

You gasp softly. "How could you—"

"You sat by the pier, but you were hidden by trees after—"

A double knock disrupts the conversation, and the door opens. The doctor is all smiles. "Hello! And Dad's here today, I hear!"

August's charm clicks on in the bat of an eye as he extends his hand.

"Yes, I am, Doctor—"

"Dr. Campbell," August finishes. Dr. Campbell takes his hand and they shake. You see the admiration in the doctor's eyes already and roll your own. "Good to meet you," August nods.