Chapter 7: A Slow Start

A\N: I finally have an art Rei look :) also by Cimonice

_______________________________________________________________________________

Rei stepped out of the portal, feeling the rush of success tingling through his veins. This time, unlike his previous attempts, he landed smoothly on the lush grassland that stretched endlessly before him. The expanse seemed to challenge the very notion of limits as if daring him to explore every inch of its boundless terrain.

Kris emerged from the portal behind him, a mischievous glint in her eye as she observed Rei's awestruck expression. With a chuckle, she moved to stand beside him, her gaze sweeping over the expansive landscape.

"You must have so many questions," she remarked, her voice tinged with amusement.

Rei nodded, his mind swirling with curiosity. "That is among the many things going through my head, yes."

"We are still in Yggdrasil, just in one of the branches that we use for more intense training," Kris explained, her tone carrying a hint of reverence for their surroundings.

"How big is this place? I can't even see where the horizon ends," Rei remarked, his eyes scanning the horizon in search of its elusive edge.

"It's big enough to house one of the titans, but they'd be able to break out once realizing what holds them," Kris replied cryptically, her words hinting at the magnitude of their current location.

Taking a deep breath, Rei savored the scent of the fresh air that enveloped him, feeling the gentle caress of the wind as it swept through the verdant sea of grass before them. At that moment, he felt a sense of exhilaration unlike any other, knowing that he stood on the threshold of a world filled with endless possibilities.

"Now, time to begin your training," Kris declared, her voice carrying a tone of determination as she summoned mana with a flick of her wrist, casting it onto Rei's arm.

The rainbow-hued energy swirled around Rei's right arm before coalescing into a sleek silver bracer. As it settled onto his arm, Rei felt a wave of relief washes over him, the tension melting away as if it had never existed. The once turbulent currents of unstable mana within him now flowed smoothly, like a calm river after a storm.

"Whoa, what is this feeling? My body feels lighter," Rei exclaimed, his movements fluid as he instinctively began to perform practice jumps, akin to a certain alien's warm-up routine.

Kris observed with keen interest, making a mental note of Rei's reaction. "Hmm, Bianka did say he had an abnormal composition. Our theory that Ruin enhances him seems to be true," she mused to herself.

"What you're feeling is the way mana should flow through you," Kris explained, taking a seat on a nearby rock. "Now, your training actually begins."

Before Rei could fully process her words, the ground beneath him began to rumble. He watched in astonishment as the earth parted, giving rise to a humanoid golem crafted from dirt and grass. It emerged from the ground with purpose, assuming a fighting stance and locking its gaze on Rei.

Without warning, the golem surged forward, its movements swift and purposeful as it closed the distance between them with alarming speed. Rei instinctively braced himself, preparing to meet the oncoming assault head-on. With a quick, fluid motion, he launched a powerful kick towards the golem, aiming to catch it off guard. However, the golem proved to be surprisingly agile, ducking under Rei's leg with ease.

Before Rei could adjust his stance, the golem pivoted smoothly, delivering a precise hand chop that struck him squarely in the ribs. Pain shot through Rei's body, causing him to stagger backward, his teeth clenched in grim determination.